Painted eggs

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26, 2002
      Greetings all!

      Recently I came across (at last!!!!) a reference to a traditional
      Easter game with Russian children: egg rolling. They let the red eggs
      go down two hillocks to meet each other until they collide. The one
      whose egg breaks in the collision, loses. The reference was "blind",
      without mentioning the first time it was documented. But Pybakov also
      mentions that during "st. Thomas's week" (being not a complete
      Orthodox, I have no idea when it happens, except it's in spring) they
      do "roll eggs". The question is: what about similar traditions with
      other nations?
      (It is a fact Russian children's games preserve a lot from adults'
      ways & habits of earlier times. Dunno about European ones, to say
      nothing of the Americans.)

      Second question is: does SCA practise period entertainments except
      tournaments & feasts? That'd be nice to play, say, pasterns at the Russian
      event. We are going to practise something of the kind at the summer
      tournament here in Moscow.

      Bye,
      Alex the Posadnik.
    • Parsla Liepa
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2002
        > do "roll eggs". The question is: what about similar traditions with
        > other nations?

        Don't know about SCA-period practices, but Latvians smash their hardboiled
        eggs together Easter morning, the person with the strongest egg is said to
        have good fortune for the year.

        Parsla
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2002
          > Recently I came across (at last!!!!) a reference to a traditional
          > Easter game with Russian children: egg rolling. They let the red eggs
          > go down two hillocks to meet each other until they collide. The one
          > whose egg breaks in the collision, loses. The reference was "blind",
          > without mentioning the first time it was documented.

          From _An Egg at Easter_ (again), on egg rolling games: "The Swedes have a
          semi-miraculous legend, reported in 1624 and thought to relate to the end
          of the sixteenth century, of a boy who stole a coin from a holy well in
          order to buy eggs for a rolling . . . In Paris there is a reference from
          1587, and Danish folklorists also trace it to the sixteenth century, if
          not earlier. In England an acocunt by Thomas Hyde, dated 1694, referrs to
          boys in the north of England who begged for eggs the evening before
          Easter, boiled them hard, dyed them with herbs and rolled them in the
          fields:
          Ovis hoc modo paratis, pueri in Campos exeuntes Ovorum Ludum
          exercent, magno cum gaudio, Ovis tinctics varie' ludendo; scil.
          vel in aerum ad instar Globulorum humi volvendo, plerumque ita
          ut sint obvia aliorum Ovis, et eis occurrentia frangant: et alia
          id genus factitando, quae a' Borealibus hominibus melius
          inquirantur."

          > Second question is: does SCA practise period entertainments except
          > tournaments & feasts? That'd be nice to play, say, pasterns at the Russian
          > event. We are going to practise something of the kind at the summer
          > tournament here in Moscow.

          Yup, SCAdians practice period games and other kinds of recreations at
          events.

          "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose."-- Joplin
          "Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." -- Heinlein
        • Jenn Ridley
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 27, 2002
            Parsla wrote:

            >Don't know about SCA-period practices, but Latvians smash their hardboiled
            >eggs together Easter morning, the person with the strongest egg is said to
            >have good fortune for the year.

            My mom's family (Massachusetts Irish) does that, too. Come to think
            of it, both Mom and Dad say that they used to do it in their families
            (and Dad's parents came over from the old country (Russia and Ukraine)
            in the early 1900's).

            stasia/jenn
            --
            Jenn Ridley
            jridley@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2002
              > Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:31:38 -0500 (EST)
              > From: Parsla Liepa <pliepa@...>
              > Subject: Re: Painted eggs
              >
              > Don't know about SCA-period practices, but Latvians
              > smash their hardboiled
              > eggs together Easter morning, the person with the
              > strongest egg is said to
              > have good fortune for the year.
              >
              > Parsla

              Interesting. My sister and I did this when we were
              kids. We're not Latvians, so I guess we're just
              violent. We called it "egg wars" -- I think my Dad
              said he did it when he was a kid,too.

              Janos

              =====
              JEFFREY C. SMITH
              Hohenfels (Oberpfalz), Germany

              "There goes one more thing that I said I would never do" -Kelly Bundy

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • Parsla Liepa
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2002
                > > Don't know about SCA-period practices, but Latvians
                > > smash their hardboiled
                > > eggs together Easter morning, the person with the
                > > strongest egg is said to
                > > have good fortune for the year.
                > >
                > > Parsla
                >
                > Interesting. My sister and I did this when we were
                > kids. We're not Latvians, so I guess we're just
                > violent. We called it "egg wars" -- I think my Dad
                > said he did it when he was a kid,too.

                My family actually does this with all of their hard-boiled eggs, not just
                the Easter morning ones. So I just figured it was soemthing weird we did,
                not really connecting it with a Latvian tradition. It was when I was
                studying in Latvia and taking a folklore class that I learned about the
                'good fortune for the upcoming year' bit.

                I doubt that this is a 'Latvian-only' tradition, especially as Stasia said
                that most of her ancestors (Irish, Russian, and Ukrainian if I'm
                remembering right) did the same thing.

                Parsla
              • Jenne Heise
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2002
                  > I doubt that this is a 'Latvian-only' tradition, especially as Stasia said
                  > that most of her ancestors (Irish, Russian, and Ukrainian if I'm
                  > remembering right) did the same thing.

                  Nope, it's not Latvian-only tradition. _An Egg At Easter_ gives all kinds
                  of information about "egg-tapping" practices all over Europe, going back
                  to the 17th century: "Egg-tapping was an early sport in England. Hyde
                  mentions it in his De Ludis Orientalibus (1694), in a way that suggests it
                  was originally a pastime of the north: "Hic Ludus non retintur in mediis
                  partibus Angliae."

                  "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that
                  matter." -- Anon.
                • hi_caldera
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2002
                    My grandfather (Polish immigrant to US) would do that on Easter also with
                    all the grandchildren. We had to bring out own eggs that we decorated the
                    American way.... his were done the traditional way with wax etchings and
                    onions skin dyes. His was always the hardest and smashed our eggs to
                    bits...we would always get two tries....one for eash end.