what is a 'funt'

  • Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
      In the following recipe, can anyone tell me in lb, oz, or kg how much
      is a 'funt' ?

      Thank you

      Joseph L.Tolbert,Jr

      MUSHROOMS IN SOUR CREAM

      Wash 1.5 funts of white mushrooms in cold water, cut into thin
      pieces, slicing the mushroom along its length to preserve its
      form). Place 2 spoons butter in covered pan, add the
      mushrooms, add some finely chopped onions that have been
      separately cooked, a little salt and pepper, and cook the
      mushrooms until they are medium soft, at which point reduce
      the heat to a very low level. Add 1 to 1.5 cups beef bullion
      to which 1 tablespoon of flour had been previously added and
      mix over very low heat until the consistency of gravy has been
      reached and then add 1 cup sour cream and mix. Serve either
      as a warm "zakuska" or as a side dish for Beef Stroganoff or
      other main meat dish.
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
        Where'd you get the recipe from? Maybe there s something in an index or
        glossary about it?

        >From: "Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr" <jtolbert@...>
        >
        >In the following recipe, can anyone tell me in lb, oz, or kg how much
        >is a 'funt' ?
      • Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
          My Lady:
          I found the recipe at
          http://www.shango.net/cyberbride/sh.htm
          from ' Medieval Russia -- Food and Drink' page on the SIG web site .

          Jenn/Yana wrote:

          > From: Jenn/Yana <jdmiller2@...>
          >
          > Where'd you get the recipe from? Maybe there s something in an index or
          > glossary about it?
          >
          > >From: "Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr" <jtolbert@...>
          > >
          > >In the following recipe, can anyone tell me in lb, oz, or kg how much
          > >is a 'funt' ?
          >
          > > Slavic Interest Group homepage:
          > http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html
        • DeseretMail
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
            I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an awful lot of 'shrooms though.
            Pan Landolf

            From: "Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr" <jtolbert@...>
            Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 16:34:28 -0400

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
              Thank you very much - I am going to try a batch now. . .

              JLT

              DeseretMail wrote:

              > From: "DeseretMail" <landolf@...>
              >
              > I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an awful lot of 'shrooms though.
              > Pan Landolf
            • Jenn/Yana
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
                My husband has just informed me that "funt" is Russian (and other Slavic
                languages, apparently) for pound. That's what I get for not using the
                dictionary. It sure _does_ sound like an awful lot of mushrooms. :)

                >> I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to my
                >Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an awful lot
                >of 'shrooms though.
                >> Pan Landolf

                --Yana
              • Robert J Welenc
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
                  At 06:13 PM 10/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
                  >From: "DeseretMail" <landolf@...>
                  >
                  >I thought the term sounded familiar so I looked it up. According to
                  my Polish-English dictionary a funt is a pound. That seems like an
                  awful lot of 'shrooms though.
                  >Pan Landolf

                  "There are never too many mushrooms. There may be insufficient
                  stomach, but there are NEVER too many mushrooms." -- some king of the
                  east whose name I misrember right now, quite possibly because of the
                  two tumblers of vino consumed at dinner.

                  Alanna
                  ***********
                  Proverb of the day:
                  The real act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing
                  with new eyes. - Marcel Proust
                • Chris and Trish Makowski
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 1999
                      A half recipe over toast, with some roast beef made a very nice supper . . .JLT

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999
                        >Welllll, for Americans it would be. For period Russians, not on your life.
                        >If they could gather a pound of 'shrooms, they'd have them scarfed that
                        >night.

                        And for modern Russians too, it seems. At least according to all the
                        anthropological works I've read. I'm slooowwwllyy training myself to like
                        mushrooms, since it seems you can't have a Russian persoan without liking
                        fungi (or fish, but I'm not worried about that food group). I'll eat most
                        of the Asian ones and Portabellas are okay, but I don't think I'll ever
                        like those slimy button mushrooms! <shudder>

                        Hanging up a string or three of dried mushrooms would be a wonderful
                        decoration for a Russian encampment or dacha.

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
                        http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
                      • Katheryne of Krings Keep
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999

                          > >Welllll, for Americans it would be. For period Russians, not on your
                          >life.
                          > >If they could gather a pound of 'shrooms, they'd have them scarfed that
                          > >night.
                          >
                          >And for modern Russians too, it seems. At least according to all the
                          >anthropological works I've read. I'm slooowwwllyy training myself to like
                          >mushrooms, since it seems you can't have a Russian persoan without liking
                          >fungi (or fish, but I'm not worried about that food group). I'll eat most
                          >of the Asian ones and Portabellas are okay, but I don't think I'll ever
                          >like those slimy button mushrooms! <shudder>
                          >
                          >Hanging up a string or three of dried mushrooms would be a wonderful
                          >decoration for a Russian encampment or dacha.

                          >Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
                          > http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2

                          You had better be careful with that string or three of mushrooms! One night
                          a thief might come into your camp and replace them with strings of
                          cranberries!!

                          MMMMMMMM good 'shrooms!! <munch, munch, munch>

                          Katradzyna