Re: Vocab (was: Re: [sig] "buttons")

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2002
      Greetings all!

      > "Conversations"??  I'd love to know the etymology of
      > this word in this context!

      God knows, I don't. This term marks, to be precise, the bands of cloth
      (Hungarians used cords)
      sewn across the breast, to which the button and the eye were attached.
      At least, when the Russian uniform mark 1916 (army troops never saw
      it, the whole lot was used only in 1918, so it got its fame as the
      uniform of Soviet cavalry) was designed - by "traditionalist" artists
      Vasnetsov & AFAIR Bilibin, - to remind of old Russian costume & armor,
      the term already was rather old, and in that case it meant bands of
      cloth, covering the hooks/buttons on the front. You may see it in the
      corresponding Osprey books about Red Army.

      Bye,
      Posadnik.