Vocab (was: Re: [sig] "buttons")

  • Christine Jacobs
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2002
      --- Alexey Kiyaikin <Posadnik@...> wrote:

      > If I get you right, you need the images of
      > "razgovory".

      "Conversations"?? I'd love to know the etymology of
      this word in this context!

      -- Kseniia

      =====
      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2002
        Greetings all!

        > "Conversations"??  I'd love to know the etymology of
        > this word in this context!

        God knows, I don't. This term marks, to be precise, the bands of cloth
        (Hungarians used cords)
        sewn across the breast, to which the button and the eye were attached.
        At least, when the Russian uniform mark 1916 (army troops never saw
        it, the whole lot was used only in 1918, so it got its fame as the
        uniform of Soviet cavalry) was designed - by "traditionalist" artists
        Vasnetsov & AFAIR Bilibin, - to remind of old Russian costume & armor,
        the term already was rather old, and in that case it meant bands of
        cloth, covering the hooks/buttons on the front. You may see it in the
        corresponding Osprey books about Red Army.

        Bye,
        Posadnik.