Re: [sig] "buttons"

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2002
      Greetings Sasha!

      >   Hopefully this is going to be an easy one.  I'm trying to track
      > down close-up images of the knot & frog closures typical on men's
      If I get you right, you need the images of "razgovory". They are not
      only men-dress ones, the construction is the same with women's dress.
      Secondly, the construction was taken from the east. The Chinese wushu
      "pyjamas" carry same type of fasteners. Same things can be seen,
      say, in women's traditional dress of many small nations of northern
      Caucasus, being the descendants of medieval nomads. Try the
      corresponding entry at Russian-speaking site www.balcaria.narod.ru .
      There is a scientific work on Balcarian traditional costume, which
      included multiple fasteners of that kind on the breast.
      > coats.  I primarily focused on 16th century Moscow, Kiev, or
      The thing is Novgorod became a provincial town by then, losing much of
      its value & glory after Ivan III destroyed its independence. It's much
      better to focus on either Moscow (lots of gifts to/from the tsar) or
      closest neighbors (same reason), if I got right that you need XVI century
      of those cities. Try searching for any images from Oruzheinaya
      Palata of Moscow Kremlin (usually referred to as the Armory, but it is
      only the collection of gifts to the tsar and things considered
      valuable since XV century), or Istoricheski Musei (State Historic
      Museum), as it has collected the biggest ever collection of
      traditional costume.

      > Novgorod,

      Bye,
      Alex.
    • Christine Jacobs
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2002
        --- Alexey Kiyaikin <Posadnik@...> wrote:

        > If I get you right, you need the images of
        > "razgovory".

        "Conversations"?? I'd love to know the etymology of
        this word in this context!

        -- Kseniia

        =====
        http://sports.yahoo.com
      • Alexey Kiyaikin
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2002
          Greetings all!

          > "Conversations"??  I'd love to know the etymology of
          > this word in this context!

          God knows, I don't. This term marks, to be precise, the bands of cloth
          (Hungarians used cords)
          sewn across the breast, to which the button and the eye were attached.
          At least, when the Russian uniform mark 1916 (army troops never saw
          it, the whole lot was used only in 1918, so it got its fame as the
          uniform of Soviet cavalry) was designed - by "traditionalist" artists
          Vasnetsov & AFAIR Bilibin, - to remind of old Russian costume & armor,
          the term already was rather old, and in that case it meant bands of
          cloth, covering the hooks/buttons on the front. You may see it in the
          corresponding Osprey books about Red Army.

          Bye,
          Posadnik.