Re: Re. Painted ware
- The coloring used on the brightly painted nineteenth century wares was
usually cinnabar (vermillion) and metallic powders covered with varnish.
Cinnabar is a natural occuring mercuric sulphide (mercuric ore). Over long
periods, mercury contamination can cause permanent brain damage, as well as
harming the liver and kidneys. I doubt that the 20th century wares have
changed much, so to be safe, don't use them for eating out of unless they
are specifically made as eating utensils.
>>Pebble Red: this material was once known as "cinnabar," ornaturally-occurring vermilion, a natural mercuric sulphide (HgS)...Also
called "synoper" or "sinopia."
Vermilion is moderately toxic by skin contact, and highly toxic by
inhalation and ingestion, causing mercury poisoning, which can cause severe
damage to the nervous system and kidneys.>>
Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
Slavic Interest Group http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html