Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Re. Painted ware

Expand Messages
  • Jenn/Yana
    The coloring used on the brightly painted nineteenth century wares was usually cinnabar (vermillion) and metallic powders covered with varnish. Cinnabar is a
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 1999
    • 0 Attachment
      The coloring used on the brightly painted nineteenth century wares was
      usually cinnabar (vermillion) and metallic powders covered with varnish.
      Cinnabar is a natural occuring mercuric sulphide (mercuric ore). Over long
      periods, mercury contamination can cause permanent brain damage, as well as
      harming the liver and kidneys. I doubt that the 20th century wares have
      changed much, so to be safe, don't use them for eating out of unless they
      are specifically made as eating utensils.


      From: http://www.writer2001.com/perron2.htm

      >>Pebble Red: this material was once known as "cinnabar," or
      naturally-occurring vermilion, a natural mercuric sulphide (HgS)...Also
      called "synoper" or "sinopia."

      Vermilion is moderately toxic by skin contact, and highly toxic by
      inhalation and ingestion, causing mercury poisoning, which can cause severe
      damage to the nervous system and kidneys.>>
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
      http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
      Slavic Interest Group http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.