Re. Painted ware
This is my first posting on the list . I usually lurk about
and gleen tidbits of info that I can use to direct my personna research. To
respond to the quest for lead testing , there should be a kit availabe at
your nearest hardware store. Having purchased an older home a few years ago
I found it necessary to use one in deciding what painted surfaces needed to
be stripped and repainted. They come in a stick form and also in a paper
strip form. I used the latter as it was easier for me.
- The coloring used on the brightly painted nineteenth century wares was
usually cinnabar (vermillion) and metallic powders covered with varnish.
Cinnabar is a natural occuring mercuric sulphide (mercuric ore). Over long
periods, mercury contamination can cause permanent brain damage, as well as
harming the liver and kidneys. I doubt that the 20th century wares have
changed much, so to be safe, don't use them for eating out of unless they
are specifically made as eating utensils.
>>Pebble Red: this material was once known as "cinnabar," ornaturally-occurring vermilion, a natural mercuric sulphide (HgS)...Also
called "synoper" or "sinopia."
Vermilion is moderately toxic by skin contact, and highly toxic by
inhalation and ingestion, causing mercury poisoning, which can cause severe
damage to the nervous system and kidneys.>>
Yana (Ilyana Barsova) jdmiller2@...
Slavic Interest Group http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html