Re: Painted ware

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
      In a message dated 10/1/1999 10:06:48 AM W. Europe Daylight Time,
      sig@onelist.com writes:

      << I have heard, from what I think is a reliable source, that the paint on
      these
      items contains lead than can leach into food, especially hot or acid, and
      that chipped paint can be dangerous. I have been using these things only as
      decorations, but now I wonder, is there any way to check them for lead
      content without hiring a full-blown lab, spending a fortune, or destroying
      the piece? Just in case the lead is just a legend. >>

      My family had a relative in the place where they produce "hohloma," the
      described painted ware. Since my mother loved those things (and brought her
      collection over), Uncle Shura always brought us something when he came to
      visit. He never said we shouldn't use them, but we didn't except for a
      couple of small cups. I used to drink from one when I was little, and
      nothing bad happened to me, though the cup didn't fare so well. I think my
      grandma used to have a soop-serving spoon of the kind, which she used and
      which became unusable eventually. In any case, I suggest admiring your
      hohloma items but not using them for hot foods or drinks, if you want them to
      survive.

      Liudmila