Stuff from _An Egg at Easter_ part 1

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2002
      A couple of quotes from _An Egg at Easter_ by Venetia Newall (Indiana
      University Press, 1971).

      The classic unreliable source:
      "Jon Visensky, a Galician monk, writing in 1597 about 'the horrors of
      Russian folklore' metions cakes and eggs carried to graves on St. George's
      Day." (This is cited secondhand from G. Roheim, "Hungarian Pageant. . ."
      Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, lvi 1926, p 369 OR
      Mansikka V. Religion de Ostlaven, Helsinki 1922, 235... I'm not sure
      which.)

      Also "Enamelled eggs were excavated from a fourth-century grave at Worms"
      (which isn't our locality but closer than England...

      She quotes (second hand) a text called "Frauds of Romish Priests and
      Monks" from 1726 about an Italian Easter Table: "their Easter eggs, which
      of themselves yield a very fair show, for the shells of them are all
      painted with divers colours and gilt. . . " which gets decorated eggs a
      bit closer to our period, if not our place...

      "If I dialed the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?" -- Thurber