Re: [sig] The Krakowiak, a Polish dance

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
      > Now I can't read music, and the steps just look to me like you do a
      > lot of jumping around - they make no sense whatsoever.
      > Does anyone here have any more information whatsoever on this dance?

      I don't know if this is reliable information, but you might look at:
      http://www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music/dance/krakowiak.html

      "If I dialed the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?" -- Thurber
    • rtpoe
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2002
        Hello again!

        I dug my ntoes out...

        I found the Krakowiak in "Dances of Poland" by Helen Wolska (Max
        Parrish and Co., London , (c) 1952. It's part of the "Handbooks of
        European National Dances", edited by Violet Alford.

        "We have historical mention of the Krakowiak being danced in 1510,
        under King Sigismund", says Page 9.

        The steps given are similar to the steps given at
        http://www.ifccsa.org/krakowia.html

        Now if I can figure out how to actually do it...

        Richard