The Krakowiak, a Polish dance

  • rtpoe
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
      Hello everyone!

      Just joined, because I'm looking for some help, and I figure this is
      the place to look.

      So I'm wandering the stacks at the local library, and I come across a
      book on Polish folk dances (part of a series on European folk dance;
      I do not recall the author or even the title offhand). It mentions
      the Krakowiak as dating back to the early 1500's, and gives music and
      steps.

      Now I can't read music, and the steps just look to me like you do a
      lot of jumping around - they make no sense whatsoever.

      Does anyone here have any more information whatsoever on this dance?

      Thanks,

      Ricahrd Solensky
      (Richard the Poor of Ely, OP, CM, CSC, et al.)
    • Parsla Liepa
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
        What was the book you found this in? I know you said that you didn't
        remember, but if you could get the info, it'd be helpful.

        A quick web search gives me mostly folkdancing sites (as well as a few
        people's personal sites. Krarowiak seems to be a somewhat common surname.
        'From Krakow'?)

        The best site I seem to have found, http://www.ifccsa.org/krakowia.html,
        says that it is basically a variation on a polka.

        Reading through the steps, I am reminded of Latvian folkdances, and I wish
        that I never would have quit the local dance group...

        Parsla

        On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, rtpoe wrote:

        > Hello everyone!
        >
        > Just joined, because I'm looking for some help, and I figure this is
        > the place to look.
        >
        > So I'm wandering the stacks at the local library, and I come across a
        > book on Polish folk dances (part of a series on European folk dance;
        > I do not recall the author or even the title offhand). It mentions
        > the Krakowiak as dating back to the early 1500's, and gives music and
        > steps.
        >
        > Now I can't read music, and the steps just look to me like you do a
        > lot of jumping around - they make no sense whatsoever.
        >
        > Does anyone here have any more information whatsoever on this dance?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ricahrd Solensky
        > (Richard the Poor of Ely, OP, CM, CSC, et al.)

        Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
          > Now I can't read music, and the steps just look to me like you do a
          > lot of jumping around - they make no sense whatsoever.
          > Does anyone here have any more information whatsoever on this dance?

          I don't know if this is reliable information, but you might look at:
          http://www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music/dance/krakowiak.html

          "If I dialed the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?" -- Thurber
        • rtpoe
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2002
            Hello again!

            I dug my ntoes out...

            I found the Krakowiak in "Dances of Poland" by Helen Wolska (Max
            Parrish and Co., London , (c) 1952. It's part of the "Handbooks of
            European National Dances", edited by Violet Alford.

            "We have historical mention of the Krakowiak being danced in 1510,
            under King Sigismund", says Page 9.

            The steps given are similar to the steps given at
            http://www.ifccsa.org/krakowia.html

            Now if I can figure out how to actually do it...

            Richard