Re: [sig] period Slavic superstitions/pysanka

  • Susan Koziel
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3 11:50 AM
      Hmm...
      Onion skin - bright yellow to red (depends how long you let them boil -
      if you want some fun take a bit of glue and paste on leaves & flowers to
      the out side (let the glue dry), wrap them in cheese cloth & boil away
      for enough time to get the eggs yellow (5min or less) - you will end up
      with a white leaf shape, and variations in the yellow where the cheese
      cloth wrinkled.

      Beet Juice - bright red (but it will rub off).... do not boil the egg
      use the picking juice from pickled beets.
      Black Tea leaves - Tans and browns, boil the egg in tea that's left from
      the night before.
      I know we (my family) got a green one year but I don't recall with
      what... Green onion (should be yellow)? - maybe spinach (slightly
      spoiled)

      Inky cap mushrooms when they get to old to eat make a really good black.
      I haven't had a chance to try this on eggs - they didn't come up this
      year - it was to dry- but you can paint with the stuff. I wouldn't eat
      it though since it's a sort of slime produced by the decaying mushroom
      (the mushroom is safe to eat).

      These are ones I remember off the of of my head. I should have more when
      I call my mom tonight.

      I recall trying cabbage but I didn't get the same colour you did - I
      think it was just a brown, like the tea.

      I do know that these dyes are going to change subtly with the water
      composition in an area. (could explain the onion dye difference - I
      never got the brilliant red that you did).
      -Kataryna