RE: [sig] Alt titles

  • MC Toscano
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 30, 2002
      Could you post the web page for the alternate titles. I used to know where
      it was and would appreciate the information.

      Thanks,

      Nataliia
      (also from the East, although not snowy)
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2002
        --- Kate Rayburn <anezka@...> wrote:
        > Alastair said...
        >
        > >Now, on a note that will I am sure make me REALLY
        > unpopular with the
        > SCA folks on the
        > >list... "da'ma" means "a/the lady", but I am not at
        > all sure that it
        > was ever used as a
        > >*title* (it certainly isn't now, and wasn't in the
        > 16th century). It's
        > used more
        > >in the sense of "she's a real lady" rather than in
        > the sense of "she's
        > Lady So-and-so".
        > >So while it may be ok with the SCA, you are
        > probably sacrificing
        > authenticity there I'm
        > >afraid...
        >
        > The SCA's list of Alternate Titles (where this came
        > from) says that
        > there are areas which need more research, but it
        > looks like so far no
        > one has been willing to do it. I suspect they just
        > took a translation
        > dictionary and used the first word for several of
        > the languages. Do you
        > happen to have any research which could help make
        > these more
        > historically accurate? If so, I'm sure there are
        > several of us who
        > would be interested in making our titles more
        > reflective of period
        > practice.
        >
        > In Service,
        > Anezka

        I suspect you're wrong. In many cases, there simply
        isn't an appropriate honorific in the desired language
        to fill in the blanks in the manner that we use the
        word, so the folks who created the list did the best
        they could -- the words were not an arbitrary decision
        just to fill out a chart. What you have run up
        against is the conflict between a real language and
        culture and our invented SCA culture. And as for "Not
        willing to do it [the research]", how do you know they
        haven't, and come up empty? If you can come up with
        better information, Alastair, I'm sure that it would
        be appreciated.

        Tasha
        herald and veteran of several such discussions on
        other lists.

        http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • Jenny Stewart
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2002
          Hi -I'm lousy at posting links. I'm a net klutz, but it was easy to stumble
          to the alt titles site from SCA central or wherever I started from. I have
          a scanner now though. Ironic. Who do pics go to for the gallery?
          Enna
        • Diane Sawyer
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2002
            --- MC Toscano <nataliia@...> wrote:
            > Could you post the web page for the alternate
            > titles. I used to know where
            > it was and would appreciate the information.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Nataliia
            > (also from the East, although not snowy)

            http://www.sca.org/heraldry/titles.html
            (Didn't Liam know that one, Nataliia?)

            Tasha
            Sometime EK herald (one of many, not the one in the
            Big Chair)

            http://greetings.yahoo.com