Pre - pagan west slavic superstition

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2002
      non-Christian culture in Europe in general, I was just skimming "European
      Paganism: the realities of cult from antiquity to the Middle Ages" by Ken
      Dowden, in which the classicist collects and codifies the written material
      about non-Roman non-Christian religious practices in antiquity.

      He notes in Roman reports of worship related to water:
      "And Slavs 'also [in addition to the god of Lightning, ie Perun] worship
      rivers and nymphs and certain other spirits and they sacrifice to all of
      theses as well. And they perform their divinatiosn at these sacrifices'
      (Procopius, _Gothic War_ (publichsed c. AD 551) 3.14.24)"

      He further notes that Procopius may or may not have been writing from
      firsthand knowledge. He also would only have been contacting Western or
      Southern Slavs.

      But some Roman, somewhere along the way, got the idea that in antiquity
      Slavs sacrificed to rivers and nymphs and certain other spirits and
      performed divination thereby-- so they probably were doing something that
      looked like sacrifice and divination...

      "You're down as expendable. You don't get a weapon." Diana Wynne Jones
    • Art Plazewski
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2002
        For these who read polish:
        http://www.bezuprzedzen.pl/czytelnia/bruckner_litwa_05.shtml
        Also good source of information are books by Zygmunt Gloger.

        Art.

        non-Christian culture in Europe in general, I was just skimming
        "European
        cut
        "You're down as expendable. You don't get a weapon." Diana Wynne Jones

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/