Re:paintings as documentation

  • Linda Learn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2002
      Another thing to consider in interpreting paintings is that the "villain" is
      often clothed in the garb of which ever country is the "enemy" at the time.
      In some period diatribes about clothing there were often comments about the
      bad current fashion of wearing "French" or "Foreign" clothing.

      And then you must consider the country in which the painting was done, the
      painter's residence and usual style, and whether it came from a studio where
      the major painter did the "important things" like face and hands and the
      lesser painters did the rest.

      The painting was in Cracow but it was done by a German.....(I think). The
      front man's garb is definitely German. The woman's lower sleeve looks like
      part of a German sleeve. And what is that puffy thingy laying on the
      ground behind her? There are period paintings that show a saint about to be
      done in with pieces of clothing removed ..... to allow the headsman's axe a
      better target, to show the wounds specific to the saint, etc.

      Poland imported architects, painters and other artists from the 13-1400s on.
      There was, especially, much traffic with Florence and other Italian city
      states. There was German influence in clothing as well, and the humanist
      movement which had centers in the Italian city states and in Germany, etc.
      flourished in Poland.

      You'd be safer if you could get two paintings from the period and the area
      with some of the same details.

      Just some thoughts....
      Maria P.