interesting comments on Polish clans

  • Linda Learn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2002
      I read this on the apap list. Thought it might be of interest here.....

      Subject: clan=szczep=hromada=bruderband=bratstwo

      > spoken language was the glue of the clan. The Roman Catholic Church
      > Christianized the pagan hromada through a process which was called in
      German
      > 'lehen' ie. enfoeffment. It was a divide and conquer strategy that worked.
      > Adalbert was used to enfeoff some members of the hromada if they joined
      the
      > Wendish, Prussian, Lithuanian and Livonian Crusdades. The enfoeffed
      > Polanders who promised to expand the Catholic Church were called the
      > szlachta, a term derived from the enfoeefment ceremony called in German
      the
      > geschlect. Being Polish a la Wojciech/Adalbert was something new to the
      > hromada. Catholic historians would have us believe that there was no
      Polish
      > organization or grouping before the Adalbert Crusade. The same process
      was
      > used to defeat Scotland and Ireland and Wales. It is strange that Wojciech
      is
      > honored as the Polish evangelizer when in actuality he participated in a
      > murderous process of Christianizing Europe. To this day we hear terms
      such
      > as the German bruderband St. Joannis (bractwo Sw. Jana); terms used to
      enlist
      > Slav help in the northern crusades. John Paul II apologized for the
      bloody
      > way in which the Church evangelized the hromada.

      When I asked where they'd found such interesting info, they gave
      "Bartoszewski's book on the Origins of Berlin publ 2000. Search terms such
      as brandenburg, the Ottos, altmark, mittlemark, Koepenick, Magdeburg, Saxon
      Chronicles."
      Now all I have to do is find it!
      Maria P