Re: New Picture

  • aheilvei
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
      > The picture was painted 1521 in Cracow by VonKitzingen. The picture
      > title is the Martydom of St. Catherine of Alexandria. It is
      currently
      > in a Museum in Cracow.

      > Does this look like something you could use to document potential
      > garb? Any comments on the dress or the picture?

      I could view it in both formats without problems.

      The men's clothing contained in this picture could be used as
      potential documentation, as I have seen pieces of men's garb very
      similar in a number of other portraits, paintings, and etchings;
      thus, it can be cross referenced.

      The garb on St Catherine I am not so sure of.... the sleeves seem
      odd... The bottom portion doesn't appear to be attached to the bodice
      in any manner so unless it is a vanbrace for archery of some such, I
      don't see the point of it. The pouf in the sleeve near the elbow
      hints of either smocking or a tie at this point to keep it such and I
      know of neither in this area on a dress or chemise in this time
      period. What little can be seen of the bodice (the shoulder piece)
      looks as if it could be right, if only it had a sleeve attached or
      tied to it in some manner. The open front of the dress is reminicent
      of Mary of Hapsburg's dress, as seen here
      http://www.virtue.to/guest_authors/hungarian.html
      The head piece looks correct for others that I have seen, with
      braiding and perhaps either a net or caul under the coronet.

      This is a different sort of dress for Catherine to be pictured
      wearing, as she is most often depicted in a sideless surcoat.

      Cynthia Virtue also has a wonderful paper on what consitutes a
      primary resource for documenting clothing
      http://www.virtue.to/articles/sources.html But it is also Kingdom
      dependant. In the Middle Kingdom, many judges prefer the 'rule of 3'
      for documentation... that is, they like to see three primary
      resources on any A&S entry in order to consider it documentably
      period.... Other kingdoms, I am sure, vary on this rule.

      Part of the problem is that it's a depiction of a Saint, and as such,
      is subject to many possible interpretations; as well as many possible
      correct and incorrect depections within it.

      Hope this is helpful.

      Cu Drag,
      Smiles,
      Despina