  • pckeepsakes
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
      The picture was painted 1521 in Cracow by VonKitzingen. The picture
      title is the Martydom of St. Catherine of Alexandria. It is currently
      in a Museum in Cracow.

      Does this look like something you could use to document potential
      garb? Any comments on the dress or the picture?

      Thanks,
      Nanette
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
        You seem to have uploaded it to the website as a text file, or something
        other than a gif, anyway. When I try to view it, all I get is text code.

        --Yana

        >Does this look like something you could use to document potential
        >garb? Any comments on the dress or the picture?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Nanette
      • pckeepsakes

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
            > The picture was painted 1521 in Cracow by VonKitzingen. The picture
            > title is the Martydom of St. Catherine of Alexandria. It is
            currently
            > in a Museum in Cracow.

            > Does this look like something you could use to document potential
            > garb? Any comments on the dress or the picture?

            I could view it in both formats without problems.

            The men's clothing contained in this picture could be used as
            potential documentation, as I have seen pieces of men's garb very
            similar in a number of other portraits, paintings, and etchings;
            thus, it can be cross referenced.

            The garb on St Catherine I am not so sure of.... the sleeves seem
            odd... The bottom portion doesn't appear to be attached to the bodice
            in any manner so unless it is a vanbrace for archery of some such, I
            don't see the point of it. The pouf in the sleeve near the elbow
            hints of either smocking or a tie at this point to keep it such and I
            know of neither in this area on a dress or chemise in this time
            period. What little can be seen of the bodice (the shoulder piece)
            looks as if it could be right, if only it had a sleeve attached or
            tied to it in some manner. The open front of the dress is reminicent
            of Mary of Hapsburg's dress, as seen here
            http://www.virtue.to/guest_authors/hungarian.html
            The head piece looks correct for others that I have seen, with
            braiding and perhaps either a net or caul under the coronet.

            This is a different sort of dress for Catherine to be pictured
            wearing, as she is most often depicted in a sideless surcoat.

            Cynthia Virtue also has a wonderful paper on what consitutes a
            primary resource for documenting clothing
            http://www.virtue.to/articles/sources.html But it is also Kingdom
            dependant. In the Middle Kingdom, many judges prefer the 'rule of 3'
            for documentation... that is, they like to see three primary
            resources on any A&S entry in order to consider it documentably
            period.... Other kingdoms, I am sure, vary on this rule.

            Part of the problem is that it's a depiction of a Saint, and as such,
            is subject to many possible interpretations; as well as many possible
            correct and incorrect depections within it.

            Hope this is helpful.

            Cu Drag,
            Smiles,
            Despina