Re: [sig] Cookbooks

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      > >If I can find the reference to the extant period Bohemian cookbook,
      > >can you find out if any reprints of it are available?
      > Sure.
      > FWIW, the seminal work (no pun intended) seems to have been C'. ZĂ­brt's
      > 1927 "Staroc'eske ume'ni kuchar'ske" ('The old Czech culinary arts"),
      > published in Prague. This includes/d extracts or edited texts of:
      > numerous - mainly 16th & 17th century - cookbooks.

      Ok. Here's the cite:
      Kucharstvi (with the crescent over the r and an accent over the i), O. _O
      rozlicnych krmech_ [crescent over the c and accent over the y in the
      second word, cresent over the e in the third word] (Cookbook. About
      Various Foods), Praha 1535.

      "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
      you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
      you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
      sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde