Cookbooks

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      >If I can find the reference to the extant period Bohemian cookbook,
      >can you find out if any reprints of it are available?

      Sure. :-)

      FWIW, the seminal work (no pun intended) seems to have been C'. Zíbrt's
      1927 "Staroc'eske ume'ni kuchar'ske" ('The old Czech culinary arts"),
      published in Prague. This includes/d extracts or edited texts of:
      numerous - mainly 16th & 17th century - cookbooks.

      Cheers

      Alastair

      ---------------------------
      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
        > >If I can find the reference to the extant period Bohemian cookbook,
        > >can you find out if any reprints of it are available?
        > Sure.
        > FWIW, the seminal work (no pun intended) seems to have been C'. Zíbrt's
        > 1927 "Staroc'eske ume'ni kuchar'ske" ('The old Czech culinary arts"),
        > published in Prague. This includes/d extracts or edited texts of:
        > numerous - mainly 16th & 17th century - cookbooks.

        Ok. Here's the cite:
        Kucharstvi (with the crescent over the r and an accent over the i), O. _O
        rozlicnych krmech_ [crescent over the c and accent over the y in the
        second word, cresent over the e in the third word] (Cookbook. About
        Various Foods), Praha 1535.

        "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
        you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
        you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
        sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde