Re: [sig] Re: Hemp, still

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2001
      > I had originally posted the topic in a Reconstructionist Interfaith
      > list in order to obtain opinions and spark discussion about the
      > subject from those who practice Indo-European ethnic religions. It
      > was not my intention in any way to suggest that the ancient Slavs
      > were a bunch of drugged-out stoners. However, it would seem to me
      > that since the practice of using intoxicants in ritual and as
      > religious offerings was so widespread among so many of the ancient IE
      > cultures, it is not outside the realm of possibility that the ancient
      > Slavs did so also. Since the ancient Slavs were known to have grown
      > hemp, it would not strike me as at all strange that they would use
      > the buds of the female plants as an intoxicant.

      There are two problems with this hypothesis: one is that there isn't any
      evidence that any cultures in Northern Europe (as opposed to southern Asia
      and what I believe became the Crimea, where the Scythians were from) ever
      used the hemp in that way, even though all of them grew hemp.

      The second is that it isn't clear that the unimproved strain of hemp
      available to those in Northern Europe produced usable levels of THC when
      grown under northern conditions.

      > I would also agree that the Scythians and Sarmations did, in fact,
      > influence the cultures of the ancient Slavs, as is the case with all
      > cultures who live in close proximity to each other. There is some
      > evidence that their religious beliefs had some influence on that of
      > the early Slavs.

      I would like to see this evidence, as the historians seem to state that
      the Scythians had died out long before the Slavs entered the area. The
      Poles were in the habit of claiming connection with the Sarmartians in the
      17th and 18th centuries but most historians I've read claim that this was
      a romantic fiction.

      "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
      you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
      you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
      sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde