To Mrs. Baker

  • E D
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2001
      Volhynia is not in Russia! It's Part of Ukraine. Many idiot Western
      scholars refer to the Medieval East Slav state as Russia. I doubt that your
      paternal side is Russian; Baker doesn't sound like it. It was called Rus &
      the people called themselves Rus/Russky. Surprise, you're part Ukrainian!
      Some modern day Russians call themselves Russkiy, although that is
      influenced from Rus and would be phoney in a sense(can someone clear this
      up?). Many Russified Ukrainian Jews would treat Volhynia as part of
      Russia/Rus/Galicia as opposed to Rus/Galicia/Ukraine because
      Muscovites/Russians were more arristocratic, so they would learn to speak
      Russ. instead of Ukr.(keep in mind that there is more Russification under
      President Kuchma now in Ukr. than there was under Communism)!

      Does this help?

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 27, 2001
        > Volhynia is not in Russia! It's Part of Ukraine. Many idiot Western
        > scholars refer to the Medieval East Slav state as Russia.

        From the bit of research that I have done at this point, I found it was part
        of Russia.

        >I doubt that your
        > paternal side is Russian; Baker doesn't sound like it.

        Baker is my SCA name, not my real name.

        >It was called Rus &
        > the people called themselves Rus/Russky. Surprise, you're part Ukrainian!
        > Some modern day Russians call themselves Russkiy, although that is
        > influenced from Rus and would be phoney in a sense(can someone clear this
        > up?). Many Russified Ukrainian Jews would treat Volhynia as part of
        > Russia/Rus/Galicia as opposed to Rus/Galicia/Ukraine because
        > Muscovites/Russians were more arristocratic, so they would learn to speak
        > Russ. instead of Ukr.(keep in mind that there is more Russification under
        > President Kuchma now in Ukr. than there was under Communism)!
        >
        > Does this help?

        Not at all. But thank you anyway

      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 27, 2001
          > Volhynia is not in Russia! It's Part of Ukraine. Many idiot Western
          > scholars refer to the Medieval East Slav state as Russia. I doubt that your
          > paternal side is Russian; Baker doesn't sound like it.

          E.D.-- it's a bit difficult, here in the U.S., to make judgements on
          ethnicity based on last name, because of various simplifications/changes
          that occurred during immigration. (Someone told me that her maiden name,
          which is Czech, was shared by only one family in her home town-- a Polish
          family, who had gotten so discouraged with trying to get the U.S.
          immigration official to spell their name, that they asked for a phone
          directory of Chicago and picked a name that 'looked Polish' instead!)

          "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
          you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
          you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
          sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde
        • Purple Kat
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 27, 2001
            At 12/27/2001 09:51 AM, you wrote:
            > > Volhynia is not in Russia! It's Part of Ukraine. Many idiot Western
            > > scholars refer to the Medieval East Slav state as Russia. I doubt that
            > your
            > > paternal side is Russian; Baker doesn't sound like it.
            >
            >E.D.-- it's a bit difficult, here in the U.S., to make judgements on
            >ethnicity based on last name, because of various simplifications/changes
            >that occurred during immigration.
            >--
            >Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise

            Thank you Jadwiga!!!!

            My maternal side is from Poland, however my last name is Maeder -- very
            Germanic.
            Am I to pretend that my mother didn't marry my father??

            Usually when the discussion leads to last names I use my Grandmother's
            "proper" married name Niedzviedzska - Bochenek. LOL

            Katardzyna
            proud to be 1/2 Polish, 1/4 German and 1/4 American Mutt
          • solsticeskye
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 27, 2001
              --- In sig@y..., "E D" <White_Croat@h...> wrote:
              > Volhynia is not in Russia! It's Part of Ukraine. Many idiot
              >Western
              > scholars refer to the Medieval East Slav state as Russia. I doubt
              > that your
              > paternal side is Russian; Baker doesn't sound like it.

              Can I make a small correction here? I think she mentioned that her
              mother was Russian, not her father. Paternal is father, maternal is
              mother.

              But I do agree that they did refer the state as Russia a tad bit
              incorrectly. But maybe they did so because it changed ruling hands
              so frequently?

              Just my thoughts!

              Skye

              PS - Does anyone have any idea on how they embroidered their jackets
              in Kiev around the 15th Century or did they use brocade? This is all
              very confusing to me!
            • VDNovach@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
                Oh you are not a mutt. I am a mutt. I am russian, rumanian, ukrainian,
                polish, hungarian, lithuanian,Austrian, czech, slovakian, irish, cherokee,
                and blackfoot