Re: [sig] Re: Hemp, still

  • douglas petroff
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 24, 2001
      An interesting thread, but I think all anyone was doing was streching their grey matter. Nice coverage on hemp,
      though...is every one else from the sixties also? ;) To do something different, can I introduce something I don't see on
      this list too often... Its been a long time since I've been affliated with an institute of higher learning... and what I miss the
      most is a critique of some of the authors who are my connection to current study. I am not looking at starting a fire storm
      or a vendetta, but hopefully, if I throw out a name, some one can give me an idea of other points of view, perhaps they
      know if there is an agenda I'm not aware of, et c. I'm not looking for attacks, but more of a top 10 of who's hot in the
      field. At this time, I'm reading "RED SEA, BLACK RUSSIA" by Jacques Bacic. He has spent the first 200+ pages
      dealing with various uses of colors in place names, and in about another 75- 100 pages, is going to get into the where
      and how of the origion of the rus. Any one else come across this person or any of his works? Any thoughts of him as an
      author? Sergius B.
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 27, 2001
        > I had originally posted the topic in a Reconstructionist Interfaith
        > list in order to obtain opinions and spark discussion about the
        > subject from those who practice Indo-European ethnic religions. It
        > was not my intention in any way to suggest that the ancient Slavs
        > were a bunch of drugged-out stoners. However, it would seem to me
        > that since the practice of using intoxicants in ritual and as
        > religious offerings was so widespread among so many of the ancient IE
        > cultures, it is not outside the realm of possibility that the ancient
        > Slavs did so also. Since the ancient Slavs were known to have grown
        > hemp, it would not strike me as at all strange that they would use
        > the buds of the female plants as an intoxicant.

        There are two problems with this hypothesis: one is that there isn't any
        evidence that any cultures in Northern Europe (as opposed to southern Asia
        and what I believe became the Crimea, where the Scythians were from) ever
        used the hemp in that way, even though all of them grew hemp.

        The second is that it isn't clear that the unimproved strain of hemp
        available to those in Northern Europe produced usable levels of THC when
        grown under northern conditions.

        > I would also agree that the Scythians and Sarmations did, in fact,
        > influence the cultures of the ancient Slavs, as is the case with all
        > cultures who live in close proximity to each other. There is some
        > evidence that their religious beliefs had some influence on that of
        > the early Slavs.

        I would like to see this evidence, as the historians seem to state that
        the Scythians had died out long before the Slavs entered the area. The
        Poles were in the habit of claiming connection with the Sarmartians in the
        17th and 18th centuries but most historians I've read claim that this was
        a romantic fiction.

        "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
        you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
        you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
        sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde