human range expansion

  • Jeff Heilveil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2001
      I missed most of this thread, so please some level of ignorance, but now
      that the last of my finals are over for my last two classes ever (yeah!
      now I can work on that dissertation thingy), I do have a slight comment

      My belief is that Slavs came from the central asia area. This is also
      somewhat the area American Indians may have come from...and also, maybe,
      the filipinos. Their shamanism may have had a belief in intoxicants.

      Actually, allozyme analysis of PGM-1(PGM is important in part of
      glycolysis, the 1 refers to a specific allele) allows us to use allele
      frequencies to track population movement (the topic of my thesis, but for
      a different organism. humans are icky with which to work). The data show
      that the "indigenous" people to the continental US, actually came via
      the landbridge and weren't all that "central asian." It was really quite
      a movement of North Eastern. The populations that came over were resident
      in and around the north Eastern area long enough to have significant
      allele frequency change from the central asians. There is also supposrt
      (as has also recently been shown with mtDNA) for the "out of Africa"
      theory. So yeah, at some point they might have passed through central
      asia, but they were resident around Siberia long enough to be more similar
      to siberian areas (which are distinct from central asia) than they are to
      central asian populations.

      just my .02

      Cu drag,
      Bogdan

      "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know."
      -Kansas, Wayward son
      Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.
      PhD Candidate, Department of Entomology
      University of Illinois
      heilveil@...
      lab: (217) 333-2929

      A Bear's Paw and Base Vert on Field Argent