Re: [sig] Use of Intoxicants in Indo-European Religious Practice

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
      > > > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the
      > > resin produced by the
      > > > plants > Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am
      > told that
      > > this is an inferiour
      > > product to the flower buds. >

      According to the Encyclopedia Britannica (look-- I'm woefully ignorant
      about this sort of thing, so I have to go to the reference books):

      "Marijuana, hashish, charas, ghanja, bhang, kef, and dagga are
      names that have been applied to various varieties and preparations
      of the hemp plant. Hashish, named after the Persian founder of the
      Assassins of the 11th century (Hasan-e Sabbah), is the most potent
      of the cannabis preparations, being about eight times as strong as
      the marijuana used in the United States. Very few geographic
      areas are capable of producing a plant rich enough in resins to
      produce hashish. Unless sifted and powdered, hashish appears in a
      hardened, brownish form with the degree of darkness indicating
      strength. The North African either eats it in a confection or smokes
      it, the water pipe often being used to cool the smoke. The effects
      are more difficult to regulate when hashish is either ingested as a
      confection or drunk. In India, this resinous preparation of cannabis
      is called charas.

      Ghanja is a less active form of cannabis. Whereas hashish and
      charas are made from the pure resin, ghanja is prepared from the
      flowering tops, stems, leaves, and twigs, which have less resin and
      thus less potency. Ghanja is nevertheless one of the more potent
      forms of cannabis. It is prepared from specially cultivated plants in
      India, and the flowering tops have a relatively generous resinous
      exudate. Ghanja is consumed much in the manner of charas.

      Bhang is the least potent of the cannabis preparations used in India.
      It does not contain the flowering tops found in ghanja. As a result,
      bhang contains only a small amount of resin (5 percent). It is either
      drunk or smoked. When drunk, the leaves are reduced to a fine
      powder, brewed, and then filtered for use. Bhang is also drunk in
      Hindu religious ceremonials.

      Marijuana is the variety of cannabis grown in the Western
      Hemisphere. Considered mild in comparison to other forms of
      cannabis, it is similar in potency to the bhang used in India.
      Typically, it is smoked, but occasionally it is brewed as a tea or
      baked into cakes. Marijuana varies considerably in potency."

      "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
      you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
      you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
      sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde