Re: Hemp, still

  • Magistar_Ludi@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
      I did a Google.com search on Scythians and the first web site had a
      rather lengthy artical on hemp.
      Remember I said I doubted the Scythians had/smoked hemp. I maybe, take
      that back now.
      I have watched hemp rope made and some of the other type things like
      threads for clothing, etc. The stalk of the plant is very fibrous and
      strong and makes excellent rope, though it does tend to stretch.
      The flower tops are what are smoked. The leaves will only give you a
      dizzy feeling.
      On a hot day, if you choose not to water for a couple of days, the
      resin comes out to naturally protect the plant. This makes the plant
      more intoxicating. Also sometimes this resin will get on the leaves.
      The male plant is basicaly useless as an intoxicant as it has no flower
      tops. But it is needed for reproduction and it can reproduce with a
      female a mile away.
      Marijuana used to grow along railroad tracks in the old days because
      the cars ta king the plants to a rope factory wuld have the seeds start
      to blow out and grow.
      This was common enough to get listed in a Michigan book on wildflowers.
      -GJ Antonuk-Lis
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
        > I did a Google.com search on Scythians and the first web site had a
        > rather lengthy artical on hemp.
        > Remember I said I doubted the Scythians had/smoked hemp. I maybe, take
        > that back now.

        I think it's pretty clear that the Romans, at least, believed that the
        Scythians inhaled hemp fumes as an intoxicant.

        The question that troubles me, though, is the strength of the connection
        between the Scythians and the later Slavs. My readings have tended to
        indicate that many historians don't believe the Scythians, who spoke an
        Iranian language, were the ancestors of the Slavs. What information have
        others gleaned on this subject?

        "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
        you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
        you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
        sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
          In a message dated 12/13/2001 1:48:48 PM Central Standard Time,
          jenne@... writes:

          > My readings have tended to
          > indicate that many historians don't believe the Scythians, who spoke an
          > Iranian language, were the ancestors of the Slavs.

          That's the consensus. Judging from costume, what we know of their lifestyle,
          art, etc., they really were different from Slavs. Unrelated.

          Predslava.

        • Shadow42
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
            MHoll@... wrote:

            >In a message dated 12/13/2001 1:48:48 PM Central Standard Time,
            >jenne@... writes:
            >

            >>My readings have tended to
            >>indicate that many historians don't believe the Scythians, who spoke an
            >>Iranian language, were the ancestors of the Slavs.
            >>

            >That's the consensus. Judging from costume, what we know of their lifestyle,
            >art, etc., they really were different from Slavs. Unrelated.
            >
            >Predslava.

            So who are the descendants of the Scythians then?

            Leya
          • slavianska
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 24, 2001
              Hello Everyone!

              I am new to this list and must apologize for the tone of my first
              post here.
              I am the person whose post in another forum Jade originally cut and
              pasted to began this discussion. Needless to say that although I
              feel this is a worthwhile topic for discussion, I was indeed very
              shocked to see my own words posted here weeks before I joined this
              group.
              I had originally posted the topic in a Reconstructionist Interfaith
              list in order to obtain opinions and spark discussion about the
              subject from those who practice Indo-European ethnic religions. It
              was not my intention in any way to suggest that the ancient Slavs
              were a bunch of drugged-out stoners. However, it would seem to me
              that since the practice of using intoxicants in ritual and as
              religious offerings was so widespread among so many of the ancient IE
              cultures, it is not outside the realm of possibility that the ancient
              Slavs did so also. Since the ancient Slavs were known to have grown
              hemp, it would not strike me as at all strange that they would use
              the buds of the female plants as an intoxicant.
              I would also agree that the Scythians and Sarmations did, in fact,
              influence the cultures of the ancient Slavs, as is the case with all
              cultures who live in close proximity to each other. There is some
              evidence that their religious beliefs had some influence on that of
              the early Slavs.
              I think it would be naive to discount all the possibilities.

              Slavianska

              --- In sig@y..., Shadow42 <shadow42@e...> wrote:

              > MHoll@a... wrote:
              >
              > >In a message dated 12/13/2001 1:48:48 PM Central Standard Time,
              > >jenne@m... writes:
              > >

              > >>My readings have tended to
              > >>indicate that many historians don't believe the Scythians, who
              spoke an
              > >>Iranian language, were the ancestors of the Slavs.
              > >>

              > >That's the consensus. Judging from costume, what we know of their
              lifestyle,
              > >art, etc., they really were different from Slavs. Unrelated.
              > >
              > >Predslava.
              > >
              > So who are the descendants of the Scythians then?
              >
              > Leya
            • douglas petroff
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 24, 2001
                An interesting thread, but I think all anyone was doing was streching their grey matter. Nice coverage on hemp,
                though...is every one else from the sixties also? ;) To do something different, can I introduce something I don't see on
                this list too often... Its been a long time since I've been affliated with an institute of higher learning... and what I miss the
                most is a critique of some of the authors who are my connection to current study. I am not looking at starting a fire storm
                or a vendetta, but hopefully, if I throw out a name, some one can give me an idea of other points of view, perhaps they
                know if there is an agenda I'm not aware of, et c. I'm not looking for attacks, but more of a top 10 of who's hot in the
                field. At this time, I'm reading "RED SEA, BLACK RUSSIA" by Jacques Bacic. He has spent the first 200+ pages
                dealing with various uses of colors in place names, and in about another 75- 100 pages, is going to get into the where
                and how of the origion of the rus. Any one else come across this person or any of his works? Any thoughts of him as an
                author? Sergius B.
              • Jenne Heise
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 27, 2001
                  > I had originally posted the topic in a Reconstructionist Interfaith
                  > list in order to obtain opinions and spark discussion about the
                  > subject from those who practice Indo-European ethnic religions. It
                  > was not my intention in any way to suggest that the ancient Slavs
                  > were a bunch of drugged-out stoners. However, it would seem to me
                  > that since the practice of using intoxicants in ritual and as
                  > religious offerings was so widespread among so many of the ancient IE
                  > cultures, it is not outside the realm of possibility that the ancient
                  > Slavs did so also. Since the ancient Slavs were known to have grown
                  > hemp, it would not strike me as at all strange that they would use
                  > the buds of the female plants as an intoxicant.

                  There are two problems with this hypothesis: one is that there isn't any
                  evidence that any cultures in Northern Europe (as opposed to southern Asia
                  and what I believe became the Crimea, where the Scythians were from) ever
                  used the hemp in that way, even though all of them grew hemp.

                  The second is that it isn't clear that the unimproved strain of hemp
                  available to those in Northern Europe produced usable levels of THC when
                  grown under northern conditions.

                  > I would also agree that the Scythians and Sarmations did, in fact,
                  > influence the cultures of the ancient Slavs, as is the case with all
                  > cultures who live in close proximity to each other. There is some
                  > evidence that their religious beliefs had some influence on that of
                  > the early Slavs.

                  I would like to see this evidence, as the historians seem to state that
                  the Scythians had died out long before the Slavs entered the area. The
                  Poles were in the habit of claiming connection with the Sarmartians in the
                  17th and 18th centuries but most historians I've read claim that this was
                  a romantic fiction.