Re: [sig] Re: Use of Intoxicants in Indo-European Religious Practice

  • VDNovach@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
      There is definitely it is part of the same plant but does not give the high

    • Jade
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
        > > For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a
        different
        > > part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug.
        >
        > Um. Hemp is made by retting the fibers of the leaves of the cannabis
        > plant, I was under the impression that the part of the plant that is
        > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the resin produced by the
        > plants but I'm told it's a bit different?

        Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am told that this is an inferiour
        product to the flower buds. It is usually the buds that are smoked...up here
        in Alaska a variety of cannabis with very high levels of THC is produced in
        the Matanuska-Susitna valley called "Matanuska Thunder *uck"....so named
        because of the strength of it's narcotic and hallucinagenic effects. There's
        a local producer of catnip with high essential oil content in it that
        markets itself as Matanuska Thunder Struck...cats like to get high too, I
        guess.
        ~Jade
      • Marilee Humason
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
          --- Jade <jadedusoleil@...> wrote:
          > This is scary that you guys know so much about
          Marijuana. Is there something we should all know about
          you guys???? Just kidding!!!!
          B. Anastasia

          > > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the
          > resin produced by the
          > > plants > Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am
          told that
          > this is an inferiour
          > product to the flower buds. >

          or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • Jenne Heise
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
            > > > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the
            > > resin produced by the
            > > > plants > Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am
            > told that
            > > this is an inferiour
            > > product to the flower buds. >

            According to the Encyclopedia Britannica (look-- I'm woefully ignorant
            about this sort of thing, so I have to go to the reference books):

            "Marijuana, hashish, charas, ghanja, bhang, kef, and dagga are
            names that have been applied to various varieties and preparations
            of the hemp plant. Hashish, named after the Persian founder of the
            Assassins of the 11th century (Hasan-e Sabbah), is the most potent
            of the cannabis preparations, being about eight times as strong as
            the marijuana used in the United States. Very few geographic
            areas are capable of producing a plant rich enough in resins to
            produce hashish. Unless sifted and powdered, hashish appears in a
            hardened, brownish form with the degree of darkness indicating
            strength. The North African either eats it in a confection or smokes
            it, the water pipe often being used to cool the smoke. The effects
            are more difficult to regulate when hashish is either ingested as a
            confection or drunk. In India, this resinous preparation of cannabis
            is called charas.

            Ghanja is a less active form of cannabis. Whereas hashish and
            charas are made from the pure resin, ghanja is prepared from the
            flowering tops, stems, leaves, and twigs, which have less resin and
            thus less potency. Ghanja is nevertheless one of the more potent
            forms of cannabis. It is prepared from specially cultivated plants in
            India, and the flowering tops have a relatively generous resinous
            exudate. Ghanja is consumed much in the manner of charas.

            Bhang is the least potent of the cannabis preparations used in India.
            It does not contain the flowering tops found in ghanja. As a result,
            bhang contains only a small amount of resin (5 percent). It is either
            drunk or smoked. When drunk, the leaves are reduced to a fine
            powder, brewed, and then filtered for use. Bhang is also drunk in
            Hindu religious ceremonials.

            Marijuana is the variety of cannabis grown in the Western
            Hemisphere. Considered mild in comparison to other forms of
            cannabis, it is similar in potency to the bhang used in India.
            Typically, it is smoked, but occasionally it is brewed as a tea or
            baked into cakes. Marijuana varies considerably in potency."

            "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
            you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
            you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
            sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde