Re: [sig] Re: Use of Intoxicants in Indo-European Religious Practice

  • VDNovach@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
      There is definitely it is part of the same plant but does not give the high

    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
        > For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a different
        > part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug.

        Um. Hemp is made by retting the fibers of the leaves of the cannabis
        plant, I was under the impression that the part of the plant that is
        currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the resin produced by the
        plants but I'm told it's a bit different? However, before the turn of this
        century herbals referred to two strains or varieties of hemp, marijuana
        being 'cannibis indica' and hemp being cannabis sativa. Now biologists
        classify them as the same strain but one wonders whether 'cannabis indica'
        was a specialty variety bred by the Arabs for its intoxicating properties?

        "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
        you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
        you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
        sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde
      • Jade
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
          > > For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a
          different
          > > part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug.
          >
          > Um. Hemp is made by retting the fibers of the leaves of the cannabis
          > plant, I was under the impression that the part of the plant that is
          > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the resin produced by the
          > plants but I'm told it's a bit different?

          Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am told that this is an inferiour
          product to the flower buds. It is usually the buds that are smoked...up here
          in Alaska a variety of cannabis with very high levels of THC is produced in
          the Matanuska-Susitna valley called "Matanuska Thunder *uck"....so named
          because of the strength of it's narcotic and hallucinagenic effects. There's
          a local producer of catnip with high essential oil content in it that
          markets itself as Matanuska Thunder Struck...cats like to get high too, I
          guess.
          ~Jade
        • Marilee Humason
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
            --- Jade <jadedusoleil@...> wrote:
            > This is scary that you guys know so much about
            Marijuana. Is there something we should all know about
            you guys???? Just kidding!!!!
            B. Anastasia

            > > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the
            > resin produced by the
            > > plants > Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am
            told that
            > this is an inferiour
            > product to the flower buds. >

            or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
          • Jenne Heise
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
              > > > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the
              > > resin produced by the
              > > > plants > Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am
              > told that
              > > this is an inferiour
              > > product to the flower buds. >

              According to the Encyclopedia Britannica (look-- I'm woefully ignorant
              about this sort of thing, so I have to go to the reference books):

              "Marijuana, hashish, charas, ghanja, bhang, kef, and dagga are
              names that have been applied to various varieties and preparations
              of the hemp plant. Hashish, named after the Persian founder of the
              Assassins of the 11th century (Hasan-e Sabbah), is the most potent
              of the cannabis preparations, being about eight times as strong as
              the marijuana used in the United States. Very few geographic
              areas are capable of producing a plant rich enough in resins to
              produce hashish. Unless sifted and powdered, hashish appears in a
              hardened, brownish form with the degree of darkness indicating
              strength. The North African either eats it in a confection or smokes
              it, the water pipe often being used to cool the smoke. The effects
              are more difficult to regulate when hashish is either ingested as a
              confection or drunk. In India, this resinous preparation of cannabis
              is called charas.

              Ghanja is a less active form of cannabis. Whereas hashish and
              charas are made from the pure resin, ghanja is prepared from the
              flowering tops, stems, leaves, and twigs, which have less resin and
              thus less potency. Ghanja is nevertheless one of the more potent
              forms of cannabis. It is prepared from specially cultivated plants in
              India, and the flowering tops have a relatively generous resinous
              exudate. Ghanja is consumed much in the manner of charas.

              Bhang is the least potent of the cannabis preparations used in India.
              It does not contain the flowering tops found in ghanja. As a result,
              bhang contains only a small amount of resin (5 percent). It is either
              drunk or smoked. When drunk, the leaves are reduced to a fine
              powder, brewed, and then filtered for use. Bhang is also drunk in
              Hindu religious ceremonials.

              Marijuana is the variety of cannabis grown in the Western
              Hemisphere. Considered mild in comparison to other forms of
              cannabis, it is similar in potency to the bhang used in India.
              Typically, it is smoked, but occasionally it is brewed as a tea or
              baked into cakes. Marijuana varies considerably in potency."