Re: [sig] Use of Intoxicants in Indo-European Religious Practice

  • Dawn aka Achaxe
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 9, 2001
      Greetings Jade:
      The use of hallucinogens to enhance spiritual experiences is common to
      many ancient cultures. Scytho-Sarmatian cultures (700bc-200bc or so)used
      Cannabis in some sort of ritualistic way. Herodotus documents this in his
      Histories, saying "the scythians howled with delight" after inhaling steam
      from the burning plant. Rudenko and other archeologists have found small
      braziers with scorched hemp seeds in them, and a teepee frame with felt (or
      leather) appliqu�d covering, to support Herodotus' accounts. Imagine a small
      teepee, about 6' high, with a small brazier (in which hemp burned)set in the
      middle of it. One would stick one's head into the opening of the teepee and
      inhale deeply of the vapors, to promote spiritual visions or hallucinations.

      For further information on this subject as it relates to "ancient cultures
      of eastern europe", I would also suggest you do some research into the
      ancient Zoroastrian faith. Their use of an hallucinogenic substance they
      called "soma" in rituals has been related by some to the Scythian use of
      marijuana. There are many varied opinions on what exactly Soma was made
      with, whether it be cannabis, a mushroom, other herbs, or some combination.
      There have also been finds of ritual use of herbs that did not have any
      hallucinogenic properties. For example, residue of ma huang, a stimulant
      often used in china (ancient and modern day) has been found both in
      combination with valerian,(a hallucinogen) and on its own. The theory is
      that as populations and cultures migrated into different areas, supplies of
      plants, herbs or mushrooms that were easily obtainable in one geographical
      area, became scarce in another, and a substitute had to be found for the
      rituals, or done without.
      I fear I have begun to blather on about this. There are many resources on
      this subject out there, and the more you read about ancient cultures in
      specific, the more information you will unearth. ;-)
      I hope these words have been in some way helpful.
      Achaxe

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
        For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a different
        part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug. And I have some knowledge
        of Archaeology and Anthropology. I know that some pagan cultures gave as
        offerings to their deities. The Norse gave burnt offerings of unknown
        substances to their Deities. It is possible that other cultures did equally
        do the same I do not know of thw source of these findings of which are being
        spoke of but would like to know more.

      • douglas petroff
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
          Just as an aside, I do not believe there is a difference between rope hemp and the more adventurous sort, other than
          one is male and the other is female. uses may include cordage, sealants ala oakum, or any type of sweetgrass incense,
          not unlike the plains Indians. A very useful plant, as it was grown in the US since colonial times"not just for stoners"
          Sergei B. >

        • VDNovach@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
            There is definitely it is part of the same plant but does not give the high

          • Jenne Heise
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
              > For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a different
              > part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug.

              Um. Hemp is made by retting the fibers of the leaves of the cannabis
              plant, I was under the impression that the part of the plant that is
              currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the resin produced by the
              plants but I'm told it's a bit different? However, before the turn of this
              century herbals referred to two strains or varieties of hemp, marijuana
              being 'cannibis indica' and hemp being cannabis sativa. Now biologists
              classify them as the same strain but one wonders whether 'cannabis indica'
              was a specialty variety bred by the Arabs for its intoxicating properties?

              "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
              you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
              you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
              sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde
            • Jade
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                > > For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a
                different
                > > part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug.
                >
                > Um. Hemp is made by retting the fibers of the leaves of the cannabis
                > plant, I was under the impression that the part of the plant that is
                > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the resin produced by the
                > plants but I'm told it's a bit different?

                Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am told that this is an inferiour
                product to the flower buds. It is usually the buds that are smoked...up here
                in Alaska a variety of cannabis with very high levels of THC is produced in
                the Matanuska-Susitna valley called "Matanuska Thunder *uck"....so named
                because of the strength of it's narcotic and hallucinagenic effects. There's
                a local producer of catnip with high essential oil content in it that
                markets itself as Matanuska Thunder Struck...cats like to get high too, I
                guess.
                ~Jade
              • Marilee Humason
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
                  --- Jade <jadedusoleil@...> wrote:
                  > This is scary that you guys know so much about
                  Marijuana. Is there something we should all know about
                  you guys???? Just kidding!!!!
                  B. Anastasia

                  > > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the
                  > resin produced by the
                  > > plants > Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am
                  told that
                  > this is an inferiour
                  > product to the flower buds. >

                  or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
                • Jenne Heise
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
                    > > > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the
                    > > resin produced by the
                    > > > plants > Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am
                    > told that
                    > > this is an inferiour
                    > > product to the flower buds. >

                    According to the Encyclopedia Britannica (look-- I'm woefully ignorant
                    about this sort of thing, so I have to go to the reference books):

                    "Marijuana, hashish, charas, ghanja, bhang, kef, and dagga are
                    names that have been applied to various varieties and preparations
                    of the hemp plant. Hashish, named after the Persian founder of the
                    Assassins of the 11th century (Hasan-e Sabbah), is the most potent
                    of the cannabis preparations, being about eight times as strong as
                    the marijuana used in the United States. Very few geographic
                    areas are capable of producing a plant rich enough in resins to
                    produce hashish. Unless sifted and powdered, hashish appears in a
                    hardened, brownish form with the degree of darkness indicating
                    strength. The North African either eats it in a confection or smokes
                    it, the water pipe often being used to cool the smoke. The effects
                    are more difficult to regulate when hashish is either ingested as a
                    confection or drunk. In India, this resinous preparation of cannabis
                    is called charas.

                    Ghanja is a less active form of cannabis. Whereas hashish and
                    charas are made from the pure resin, ghanja is prepared from the
                    flowering tops, stems, leaves, and twigs, which have less resin and
                    thus less potency. Ghanja is nevertheless one of the more potent
                    forms of cannabis. It is prepared from specially cultivated plants in
                    India, and the flowering tops have a relatively generous resinous
                    exudate. Ghanja is consumed much in the manner of charas.

                    Bhang is the least potent of the cannabis preparations used in India.
                    It does not contain the flowering tops found in ghanja. As a result,
                    bhang contains only a small amount of resin (5 percent). It is either
                    drunk or smoked. When drunk, the leaves are reduced to a fine
                    powder, brewed, and then filtered for use. Bhang is also drunk in
                    Hindu religious ceremonials.

                    Marijuana is the variety of cannabis grown in the Western
                    Hemisphere. Considered mild in comparison to other forms of
                    cannabis, it is similar in potency to the bhang used in India.
                    Typically, it is smoked, but occasionally it is brewed as a tea or
                    baked into cakes. Marijuana varies considerably in potency."