Re: [sig] Use of Intoxicants in Indo-European Religious Practice

  • Dawn aka Achaxe
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 9, 2001
      Greetings Jade:
      The use of hallucinogens to enhance spiritual experiences is common to
      many ancient cultures. Scytho-Sarmatian cultures (700bc-200bc or so)used
      Cannabis in some sort of ritualistic way. Herodotus documents this in his
      Histories, saying "the scythians howled with delight" after inhaling steam
      from the burning plant. Rudenko and other archeologists have found small
      braziers with scorched hemp seeds in them, and a teepee frame with felt (or
      leather) appliqu�d covering, to support Herodotus' accounts. Imagine a small
      teepee, about 6' high, with a small brazier (in which hemp burned)set in the
      middle of it. One would stick one's head into the opening of the teepee and
      inhale deeply of the vapors, to promote spiritual visions or hallucinations.

      For further information on this subject as it relates to "ancient cultures
      of eastern europe", I would also suggest you do some research into the
      ancient Zoroastrian faith. Their use of an hallucinogenic substance they
      called "soma" in rituals has been related by some to the Scythian use of
      marijuana. There are many varied opinions on what exactly Soma was made
      with, whether it be cannabis, a mushroom, other herbs, or some combination.
      There have also been finds of ritual use of herbs that did not have any
      hallucinogenic properties. For example, residue of ma huang, a stimulant
      often used in china (ancient and modern day) has been found both in
      combination with valerian,(a hallucinogen) and on its own. The theory is
      that as populations and cultures migrated into different areas, supplies of
      plants, herbs or mushrooms that were easily obtainable in one geographical
      area, became scarce in another, and a substitute had to be found for the
      rituals, or done without.
      I fear I have begun to blather on about this. There are many resources on
      this subject out there, and the more you read about ancient cultures in
      specific, the more information you will unearth. ;-)
      I hope these words have been in some way helpful.
      Achaxe

      >Subject: [sig] Use of Intoxicants in Indo-European Religious Practice
      >Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 19:29:32 -0800
      >
      >Hello list members,
      >

      > > I've recently been reading some archaeological papers concerning digs in
      >Eastern Europe. It seems that they are finding large quantities of hemp
      >residue in what are thought to be ritual sites. Evidence seems to be
      >pointing to the ancient Slavs having been heavy consumers of "herb" for
      >religious purposes.
      > > Anyone else know of similar practices in your cultures?
      >
      >my appologies to those of you who have recieved this post multiple
      >times...I
      >am interested in this topic and wanted to check to see if anyone else had
      >heard of Slavs using hemp for religeous purposes...the idea of ancient
      >Slavs being a bunch of pot-heads is funny to me (no offense intended! ;)
      >and
      >I have never heard of this.
      >~Jade

    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
        >It seems that they are finding large quantities of hemp residue in what
        >are thought to be ritual sites. Evidence seems to be pointing to the
        ancient
        >Slavs having been heavy consumers of "herb" for religious purposes.

        Which sites?
        And what, exactly, is meant by "hemp residue"? How is it preserved? and
        where?
        If this refers to the results of chemical analyses of residual material on
        the walls of ceramic vessels, then the 'large quantities' claim is
        immediately put into doubt...

        I'm also intrigued to know from what parts of pagan Slavic sanctuaries
        (which tended to be large-ish, open-air things) these "residues" came. If,
        as I suspect, the evidence is actually from vessels retrieved from burials,
        then the assumption of a religious connection is just that - an assumption,
        not supported by clear evidence.

        There is certainly _other_ archaeological evidence (which I'll look up the
        references for when I'm back in the office with my books) that the
        Scythians inhaled hemp - censers - but as far as I know no such objects
        have been found on pagan Slavic sites. I'll be happy for someone to correct
        me if I'm wrong, of course, but there is no strong belief in this part of
        the Slavic world that their predecessors were heavy consumers (tho' I make
        no comment when it comes to some of my archaeological colleagues...)

        There IS, however, a growing body of feeling that the distinctive shapes
        adopted by Celtic art were designed to be appreciated under the influence
        of drugs; those who have experimented claim that when under the influence,
        these shapes seem to move... As I recall, though, the evidence here is from
        narcotic residues (presumably from mushrooms) on grindstones, rather than
        for hemp consumption.

        Be careful, by the way, in what is translated (technically correctly) into
        English as "hemp" - it may just be the (non-cannabis) fibrous stuff that
        rope is made out of! Example: I know of a Palaeolithic site in Moravia
        where burnt clay contained "hemp impressions" that were the equivalent of
        string.

        Yours aye

        Alastair

        ---------------------------
        Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
      • VDNovach@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
          For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a different
          part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug. And I have some knowledge
          of Archaeology and Anthropology. I know that some pagan cultures gave as
          offerings to their deities. The Norse gave burnt offerings of unknown
          substances to their Deities. It is possible that other cultures did equally
          do the same I do not know of thw source of these findings of which are being
          spoke of but would like to know more.

        • douglas petroff
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
            Just as an aside, I do not believe there is a difference between rope hemp and the more adventurous sort, other than
            one is male and the other is female. uses may include cordage, sealants ala oakum, or any type of sweetgrass incense,
            not unlike the plains Indians. A very useful plant, as it was grown in the US since colonial times"not just for stoners"
            Sergei B. >

          • VDNovach@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
              There is definitely it is part of the same plant but does not give the high

            • Jenne Heise
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                > For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a different
                > part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug.

                Um. Hemp is made by retting the fibers of the leaves of the cannabis
                plant, I was under the impression that the part of the plant that is
                currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the resin produced by the
                plants but I'm told it's a bit different? However, before the turn of this
                century herbals referred to two strains or varieties of hemp, marijuana
                being 'cannibis indica' and hemp being cannabis sativa. Now biologists
                classify them as the same strain but one wonders whether 'cannabis indica'
                was a specialty variety bred by the Arabs for its intoxicating properties?

                "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
                you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
                you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
                sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde
              • Jade
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                  > > For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a
                  different
                  > > part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug.
                  >
                  > Um. Hemp is made by retting the fibers of the leaves of the cannabis
                  > plant, I was under the impression that the part of the plant that is
                  > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the resin produced by the
                  > plants but I'm told it's a bit different?

                  Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am told that this is an inferiour
                  product to the flower buds. It is usually the buds that are smoked...up here
                  in Alaska a variety of cannabis with very high levels of THC is produced in
                  the Matanuska-Susitna valley called "Matanuska Thunder *uck"....so named
                  because of the strength of it's narcotic and hallucinagenic effects. There's
                  a local producer of catnip with high essential oil content in it that
                  markets itself as Matanuska Thunder Struck...cats like to get high too, I
                  guess.
                  ~Jade
                • Marilee Humason
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
                    --- Jade <jadedusoleil@...> wrote:
                    > This is scary that you guys know so much about
                    Marijuana. Is there something we should all know about
                    you guys???? Just kidding!!!!
                    B. Anastasia

                    > > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the
                    > resin produced by the
                    > > plants > Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am
                    told that
                    > this is an inferiour
                    > product to the flower buds. >

                    or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
                  • Jenne Heise
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
                      > > > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the
                      > > resin produced by the
                      > > > plants > Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am
                      > told that
                      > > this is an inferiour
                      > > product to the flower buds. >

                      According to the Encyclopedia Britannica (look-- I'm woefully ignorant
                      about this sort of thing, so I have to go to the reference books):

                      "Marijuana, hashish, charas, ghanja, bhang, kef, and dagga are
                      names that have been applied to various varieties and preparations
                      of the hemp plant. Hashish, named after the Persian founder of the
                      Assassins of the 11th century (Hasan-e Sabbah), is the most potent
                      of the cannabis preparations, being about eight times as strong as
                      the marijuana used in the United States. Very few geographic
                      areas are capable of producing a plant rich enough in resins to
                      produce hashish. Unless sifted and powdered, hashish appears in a
                      hardened, brownish form with the degree of darkness indicating
                      strength. The North African either eats it in a confection or smokes
                      it, the water pipe often being used to cool the smoke. The effects
                      are more difficult to regulate when hashish is either ingested as a
                      confection or drunk. In India, this resinous preparation of cannabis
                      is called charas.

                      Ghanja is a less active form of cannabis. Whereas hashish and
                      charas are made from the pure resin, ghanja is prepared from the
                      flowering tops, stems, leaves, and twigs, which have less resin and
                      thus less potency. Ghanja is nevertheless one of the more potent
                      forms of cannabis. It is prepared from specially cultivated plants in
                      India, and the flowering tops have a relatively generous resinous
                      exudate. Ghanja is consumed much in the manner of charas.

                      Bhang is the least potent of the cannabis preparations used in India.
                      It does not contain the flowering tops found in ghanja. As a result,
                      bhang contains only a small amount of resin (5 percent). It is either
                      drunk or smoked. When drunk, the leaves are reduced to a fine
                      powder, brewed, and then filtered for use. Bhang is also drunk in
                      Hindu religious ceremonials.

                      Marijuana is the variety of cannabis grown in the Western
                      Hemisphere. Considered mild in comparison to other forms of
                      cannabis, it is similar in potency to the bhang used in India.
                      Typically, it is smoked, but occasionally it is brewed as a tea or
                      baked into cakes. Marijuana varies considerably in potency."