Re: Hemp

  • Magistar_Ludi@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 10, 2001
      I have never heard of Slavic's, in antiquaity, using intoxicating
      herbs. They may have introduced it to grow, for mayby making rope.
      Of course in the far reaches of their eastern wanderings they may have
      came in contact with it. But as far as growing it themselves, I hae
      never heard of it.
      The hemp used in rope is a different variety which would only make you
      dizzy from trying to inhale it.
      But then contact with Mongols and Tartars and of course the muslims
      could have introduced some of them.
    • Kate Jones
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 10, 2001
        Magistar_Ludi@... sez:

        > I have never heard of Slavic's, in antiquaity, using intoxicating
        > herbs. They may have introduced it to grow, for mayby making rope.
        > Of course in the far reaches of their eastern wanderings they may have
        > came in contact with it. But as far as growing it themselves, I hae
        > never heard of it.
        > The hemp used in rope is a different variety which would only make you
        > dizzy from trying to inhale it.

        Hemp was also used in period to make fabric, similar to flax being
        used to make linen. Quite possibly what was found was just the remains
        of the scrap heap. :)

        Kat'ryna
        --
        Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
        kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 18, 2003
          Again, I'm asking for any scholarly information about the use of Hemp in
          Eastern europe that people have come across...

          "What don't die can't live. What don't live can't change. What don't
          change can't learn." -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_
        • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 18, 2003
            F******k!
            That was supposed to be a private message.
            -Kataryna
          • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 19, 2003
              Greetings Jadwiga!

              > Again, I'm asking for any scholarly information about the use of Hemp in
              > Eastern europe that people have come across...

              The book "Drevnii Kostyum Narodov Vostochnoy Yevropy" that mentions yet the Scythians (remember the two nations under one name) clothed in linen and hemp. It is very handsomely cited here. Hempseed oil, mentioned by historians as one of the main vegetable fats of early period Russians of the SAME region, implies that hemp was home-grown (no export of such stuff detected). Does that imply that hemp was used for fabric as well as for oil?

              bye,
              Alex
            • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 19, 2003
                > The book "Drevnii Kostyum Narodov Vostochnoy Yevropy" that mentions yet
                >the Scythians (remember the two nations under one name) clothed in linen
                >and hemp. It is very handsomely cited here. Hempseed oil, mentioned by
                >historians as one of the main vegetable fats of early period Russians of
                >the SAME region, implies that hemp was home-grown (no export of such
                >stuff detected). Does that imply that hemp was used for fabric as well as
                >for oil?

                Thanks for the citation.

                What i'm finding, I think, is that hemp harvested for fabric isn't allowed
                to go to seed... but can anyone contradict this? It's the information I
                have but the translations of period documents are woefully unspecific.

                So it sounds like there _might_ have been both hempseed and hemp fiber
                crops, but I can't be sure.

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 19, 2003
                  Greetings Jadwiga!

                  > What i'm finding, I think, is that hemp harvested for fabric isn't allowed
                  > to go to seed... but can anyone contradict this? It's the information I
                  > have but the translations of period documents are woefully unspecific.
                  >
                  > So it sounds like there _might_ have been both hempseed and hemp fiber
                  > crops, but I can't be sure.
                  Jadwiga, that's the result of MODERN selection. I had some inquiries on SPCA list on the same topic last year, and they told me there are low-drug sorts just selected for safe growing for textile needs(no drug addicts' raids on fields). In old times they didn't select that much. Even at the beginning-middle of 20 century in my country there was Indian hemp - that was the source for drugs, it doesn't grow in European Russia, and "regular" hemp, used for both seed and fiber. Medieval people just had same plants for seed and vegetative parts, as well as same cows for milk and meat.

                  bye,
                  Alex
                  (damn, what shall I do, there are already several Alexes in here but my joining SCA is again postponed for a month or two, so no SCA name yet...)
                • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 19, 2003
                    > > What i'm finding, I think, is that hemp harvested for fabric isn't allowed
                    > > to go to seed... but can anyone contradict this? It's the information I
                    > > have but the translations of period documents are woefully unspecific.
                    > >
                    > > So it sounds like there _might_ have been both hempseed and hemp fiber
                    > > crops, but I can't be sure.
                    > Jadwiga, that's the result of MODERN selection. I had some inquiries on
                    >SPCA list on the same topic last year, and they told me there are
                    >low-drug sorts just selected for safe growing for textile needs(no drug
                    >addicts' raids on fields). In old times they didn't select that much.

                    Sure. but that's not the point. The optimum point for picking most 'herb'
                    (as opposed to tree or shrub) foliage is often before flowering, and thus
                    before seeding. Nothing to do with THC.

                    >Even at the beginning-middle of 20 century in my country there was Indian
                    >hemp - that was the source for drugs, it doesn't grow in European Russia,
                    >and "regular" hemp, used for both seed and fiber. Medieval people just
                    >had same plants for seed and vegetative parts, as well as same cows for
                    >milk and meat.

                    Certainly. That wasn't what I was thinking about. It's hard to tell, but
                    there certainly isn't anything in the directions I have for retting hemp
                    about removing the seeds. I am thinking that the same plant might have
                    been grown for both fiber and seed, but harvested at different times.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 19, 2003
                      Hemp harvested for fabric is not usually let go to seed... well more precisely
                      the way you deal with fabric hemp would make the seed un-viable.
                      You need to ret Hemp (okay I have the spelling wrong - but I'm not running to
                      get the book to correct it right now).
                      Retting involves mowing down the hemp and letting rot on the feild for a
                      specified time to allow the stems to soften up.
                      The other thing with hemp; you need(ed) to plant male and female plants (until
                      some time after period... I'm unsure of the year but unisex hemp is a
                      relatively new invention).

                      Like corn, male and female hemp plants usually carry different traits. If
                      people were producing fibre & oil.... it's likely that one sex was the fibre
                      producer and the other was the oil-seed producer. Or they just had two
                      different crops of hemp (which wouldn't be at all strange considering the
                      number of varieties that were around until the drug laws were enacted).

                      There are varieties that were for clothing hemp vs rope hemp or even seed hemp
                      vs oil-seed hemp.
                      -Kataryna

                      Quoting jenne@...:

                    • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 19, 2003
                        No Alexey,
                        The low THC ones are somewhat based on modern selection but the fibre crop
                        which has a lower THC content the the drug hemp is an old european crop.
                        Hemp didn't start out with super high THC.
                        It was bred that way.

                        You specifically have at least 3 general types of hemp (fibre, oil, medicinal),
                        they know this from seeds they found at dig sites.
                        The seeds that each of these plants produce as well as the height of the plants
                        vary radically (and from what I can tell they always did).... I think it's time
                        for me to steal the hemp research book back from my boss, so I can get the
                        years for the distribution of the different hemp crops.

                        After about 1960 the varieties of hemp grown world wide dwindled to a
                        handful... and a number of varieties became completely extinct.

                        Because hemp was so varied in use the differentiation of fibre/oil/seed crops
                        happened rather early (If I recall correctly pre-period).

                        I don't doubt that medieval people used all the parts of any hemp plant,
                        however they probably had one feild of hemp that was good a producing oil (made
                        really large seeds), and another that was a better fibre producer (grew really
                        tall) and they produced fibre with it. And frankly with hemp being sexed I'll
                        bet they even did
                        1 row oil-seed (the seed could be up to 10X the side of a fibre seed)
                        1 row fibre seed (this seed is usually about the size of a canola seed)
                        alternated

                        -Kataryna

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 19, 2003
                          Do you want instructions for retting? They've never really been able to
                          modernize the process much, so they tend to list the "traditional way" and then
                          the possble improvements.
                          -Kataryna

                          Quoting jenne@...:

                        • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 19, 2003
                            Okay... I'll hopefully be able to put up a time line of hemp dispersion
                            throughout Europe next Wednesday (when my boss is in).

                            In the mean time:
                            Hemp retting

                            from "Advances in Hemp Research" by Paolo Ranalli (editor)
                            pg 74-75
                            "Hemp for Textile Use

                            The centuries-old method of hemp textile production involves:

                            1. Harvesting after flowering but before the seeds set, when the stems are
                            whitening at the base and the leaves are starting to drop. The fiber content is
                            reduced and becomes coarser toward seed formation. Where it is desired to
                            obtain fiber and seed the male plants are first collected by hand pulling, and
                            the female plants are left to enable the seeds to ripen.

                            2. "Retting" the crop. Retting is the name given to the process whereby
                            bacteria and fungi break down the pectins that bind the fibers to the stem
                            allowing fiber to be released; one of two alternative methods was generally
                            used:

                            - Water retting involves laying the stems in water in tanks, ponds, or in
                            streams for about ten days; it is more effective if the water is warm and
                            bacteria laden. Fiber extraction from fiber crops by traditional retting
                            methods is highly polluting or carries high risks of crop failure and yeilds of
                            varing fiber quality over the years. Moreover, top quality fibers are not
                            constantly available and raw material price fluctuations are of concern.
                            Alternatively, nonpolluting processing techniques, which guarantee constant
                            fiber qualities for industrial buyers, are urgently needed. Water retting is
                            unlikely to be viable on a modern farm as it is awkward and time-consuming and
                            produces and effluent that can be a source of pollution.

                            - Dew retting entails laying the crop on the ground for ten to thirty days,
                            turning as necessary to allow even retting. After cutting, the hemp stems were
                            laid parallel in rows to dew ret. The earlier the crop was harvested, the
                            faster retting was completed. The stems needed turning at least once
                            (sometimes twice) in order to allow for even retting. When turning, it could
                            happen that the stems close to the ground remained green while the top was
                            retting and turning brown. When retting is complete the crop is entirely
                            brown/grey. The thicker stems took longer to ret. Therefore uniformly tall,
                            fine stems would seem to be the best for trouble free retting.

                            Judging the degree and completeness of retting is a subjective exercise based
                            on experience: retting seems to be complete when the fiber bundles appear
                            white, separate from the woody core, and divide easily into individual, finer
                            fibers for their full length.
                            Once it is considered that retting has gone far enough, the crop needs to be
                            dried to halt the retting process before it damages the fiber and to prevent
                            further rwtting in storage (a moisture content of less then 16 percent is
                            recommended).

                            3. Breaking the stems by passing though a "breaker" or fluted rollers.

                            4. Separating the fiber from the woody core ("scutching") by beating the broken
                            stems with a beech stick or passing through rotary blades.

                            5. "Hanckling" (combing) to remove any remaining woody particles and to further
                            align the fibers into a continuous "sliver" for spinning."

                            The process for making paper is somewhat similar
                            Hemp is cut down & dried or in damp countries "wet harvested", then turned into
                            siliage, then the bark and the core are seperated by one of three methods:
                            1) decotication of green stems in the feild
                            - the bark is not cleaned very well and still contain more then 40% of the core

                            2) seperation of bark and core after chopping & ensiling by sieving
                            - sieving the chopped hemp to seperate the bark and core - still gives ~25%
                            pollution of both bark and core

                            3) seperation of bark and core after chopping & ensiling by flotation
                            - hemo is thrown into a bath of slow moving water... some rises, the rest
                            sinks. Very clean bast fibers can be collected in this manner.

                            Monoecious (one plant contains both sexes) Hemp first arose in the Soviet Union
                            in the late 1930's, and the first stable crop of unisex hemp would have been
                            Fibrimon bred by von Sengbusch around 1948. This crop became very widespread
                            and the basis of most French breeding crops. Other monoecious varieties were
                            bred over time (1958 to 1995) in various places.

                            Specific breeding for reduced THC began in 1964 when they identified the
                            chemical responsible for drug content.

                            However before breeding for low THC was introduced the hemp used for drugs,
                            oil, and fibre had already been bred... which is why Indian hemp does not grow
                            well in Russia... and I'd assume the same with most of the old chinese
                            varieties.

                            If I can I'll post the maps of hemp dispersion throughout the world on
                            Wednesday.
                            -Kataryna

                            Quoting eclipsek@...:

                            > Do you want instructions for retting? They've never really been able to
                            >
                            > modernize the process much, so they tend to list the "traditional way" and
                            > then
                            >
                            > the possble improvements.
                            >
                            > -Kataryna
                            >

                            > Quoting jenne@...:

                            > > allowed

                            > > >  Jadwiga, that's the result of MODERN selection. I had some inquiries on
                            >

                            > > >SPCA list on the same topic last year, and they told me there are
                            >

                            > > >low-drug sorts just selected for safe growing for textile needs(no drug
                            >

                            > > >addicts' raids on fields). In old times they didn't select that much.
                            >

                            > > Sure. but that's not the point. The optimum point for picking most 'herb'
                            >

                            > > (as opposed to tree or shrub) foliage is often before flowering, and thus
                            >

                            > > before seeding. Nothing to do with THC.
                            >

                            > > >Even at the beginning-middle of 20 century in my country there was Indian
                            >

                            > > >hemp - that was the source for drugs, it doesn't grow in European Russia,
                            >

                            > > >and "regular" hemp, used for both seed and fiber. Medieval people just
                            >

                            > > >had same plants for seed and vegetative parts, as well as same cows for
                            >

                            > > >milk and meat.
                            >

                            > > Certainly. That wasn't what I was thinking about. It's hard to tell, but
                            >

                            > > there certainly isn't anything in the directions I have for retting hemp
                            >

                            > > about removing the seeds. I am thinking that the same plant might have
                            >

                            > > been grown for both fiber and seed, but harvested at different times.
                            >

                            > > -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne@...
                            >

                            > > "What don't die can't live. What don't live can't change. What don't
                            >

                            > > change can't learn." -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • P&MSulisz
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 20, 2003
                              Witaj Pani Jadwigo,
                              I know taht this small mention isn't enough but maybe useful:
                              In "POLONIA SIVE DE SITU, POPULIS, MORIBUS, MAGISTRATIBUS ET REPUBLICA REGNI
                              POLONICI LIBRI DUO" by Marcin Kromer , first time printed in 1575, than
                              1578 etc. Book one:
                              subtitle: occupations of woman:
                              "Noble ladies and maids are taking care of wool, linen and hem..." (in my
                              translations)
                              Greetings,
                              Magdalena of Vratislavia

                              > Again, I'm asking for any scholarly information about the use of Hemp in
                              > Eastern europe that people have come across...
                              >
                              > -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne@...
                              > "What don't die can't live. What don't live can't change. What don't
                              > change can't learn." -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_

                            • Susan Koziel
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 7, 2003
                                I recall someone was looking for information on hemp
                                use. I'm still waiting for my boss to remember to
                                bring the research book with the maps of hemp's spread
                                through the world and the approximate dates...

                                but in the mean time (and looking for something
                                different) I stumbled across a few papers that may
                                interest you.

                                Contemp Rev. 1972;220(1276):252-7.
                                A social history of the use of cannabis sativa.
                                Hindmarch I.
                                Publication Types: Historical Article
                                PMID: 11631818 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

                                Indian J Hist Sci. 1981 May;16(1):31-5.
                                Medicinal use of opium and cannabis in medieval India.
                                Chaturvedi GN, Tiwari SK, Rai NP.
                                Publication Types: Historical Article
                                PMID: 11611777 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

                                Indian J Hist Sci. 1981, recu 1982;16(1):31-5.
                                Medicinal use of opium and cannabis in Medieval India.
                                Chaturvedi GN, Tiwari SK, Rai NP.
                                Publication Types: Historical Article
                                PMID: 11611267 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

                                -Kataryna
                              • Susan Koziel
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 7, 2003
                                  And another one...
                                  Prioreschi P, Babin D.
                                  Ancient use of cannabis.
                                  Nature. 1993 Aug 19;364(6439):680.
                                  PMID: 8355781 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

                                  Now, keep in mind most of these will be research
                                  information on the drug use of hemp. For those of us
                                  who are interested in the history of hemp fibre these
                                  papers may not be very helpful - I don't know I
                                  haven't read any more then the abstracts about them.
                                  -Kataryna
                                • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 18, 2003
                                    That was me! Thank you very much!

                                    > I recall someone was looking for information on hemp
                                    > use. I'm still waiting for my boss to remember to
                                    > bring the research book with the maps of hemp's spread
                                    > through the world and the approximate dates...
                                    >
                                    > but in the mean time (and looking for something
                                    > different) I stumbled across a few papers that may
                                    > interest you.
                                    >
                                    > Contemp Rev. 1972;220(1276):252-7.
                                    > A social history of the use of cannabis sativa.
                                    > Hindmarch I.
                                    > Publication Types: Historical Article
                                    > PMID: 11631818 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
                                    >

                                    > Indian J Hist Sci. 1981 May;16(1):31-5.
                                    > Medicinal use of opium and cannabis in medieval India.
                                    > Chaturvedi GN, Tiwari SK, Rai NP.
                                    > Publication Types: Historical Article
                                    > PMID: 11611777 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
                                    >

                                    > Indian J Hist Sci. 1981, recu 1982;16(1):31-5.
                                    > Medicinal use of opium and cannabis in Medieval India.
                                    > Chaturvedi GN, Tiwari SK, Rai NP.
                                    > Publication Types: Historical Article
                                    > PMID: 11611267 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
                                    >
                                    > -Kataryna

                                    "History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns
                                    to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive. It knows the names of the
                                    king's bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of
                                    human folly." -- Jean-Henri Fabre
                                  • Susan Koziel
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 18, 2003
                                      I'm still waiting on the maps....
                                      My boss lent out the book... so now it's floating
                                      around the local various university profs labs.
                                      Hopefully by Wednesday. Sigh.
                                      If you want any other technical info on the plant,
                                      I'll be happy to share.... I'll be playing with Hemp
                                      bast fibres in a few weeks. If anyone has worked with
                                      flax (or hemp) Bast - could they contact me private
                                      (kataryna_dragonweaver @ yahoo.com - remove the
                                      spaces).
                                      Thanks.
                                      -Kataryna

                                      --- jenne@... wrote:

                                      > That was me! Thank you very much!
                                      >
                                      > > I recall someone was looking for information on
                                      > hemp
                                      > > use. I'm still waiting for my boss to remember to
                                      > > bring the research book with the maps of hemp's
                                      > spread
                                      > > through the world and the approximate dates...
                                      > >
                                      > > but in the mean time (and looking for something
                                      > > different) I stumbled across a few papers that may
                                      > > interest you.
                                      > >
                                      > > Contemp Rev. 1972;220(1276):252-7.
                                      > > A social history of the use of cannabis sativa.
                                      > > Hindmarch I.
                                      > > Publication Types: Historical Article
                                      > > PMID: 11631818 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
                                      > >

                                      > > Indian J Hist Sci. 1981 May;16(1):31-5.
                                      > > Medicinal use of opium and cannabis in medieval
                                      > India.
                                      > > Chaturvedi GN, Tiwari SK, Rai NP.
                                      > > Publication Types: Historical Article
                                      > > PMID: 11611777 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
                                      > >

                                      > > Indian J Hist Sci. 1981, recu 1982;16(1):31-5.
                                      > > Medicinal use of opium and cannabis in Medieval
                                      > India.
                                      > > Chaturvedi GN, Tiwari SK, Rai NP.
                                      > > Publication Types: Historical Article
                                      > > PMID: 11611267 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
                                      > >
                                      > > -Kataryna
                                      > >

                                      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                      > >

                                      > -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
                                      > jenne@...
                                      > "History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet
                                      > our death, but scorns
                                      > to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive. It
                                      > knows the names of the
                                      > king's bastards but cannot tell us the origin of
                                      > wheat. This is the way of
                                      > human folly." -- Jean-Henri Fabre

                                    • Wojtek Wilk
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 20, 2003
                                        Hi,
                                        I was looking for this information on SIG list:)
                                        Thanks. I am interested in the inlay that was used on the
                                        turn of the 14th century in Poland. Yes yes...its is very
                                        specific question:)
                                        Wojtek from Poland

                                        To: Slavic Interest Group
                                        <sig@yahoogroups.com>
                                        From: <jenne@...>
                                        Date sent: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:40:24 -0400
                                        (EDT)
                                        Subject: Re: [sig] Hemp
                                        Send reply to: sig@yahoogroups.com

                                        That was me! Thank you very much!

                                        > I recall someone was looking for information on hemp
                                        > use. I'm still waiting for my boss to remember to
                                        > bring the research book with the maps of hemp's spread
                                        > through the world and the approximate dates...
                                        >
                                        > but in the mean time (and looking for something
                                        > different) I stumbled across a few papers that may
                                        > interest you.
                                        >
                                        > Contemp Rev. 1972;220(1276):252-7.
                                        > A social history of the use of cannabis sativa.
                                        > Hindmarch I.
                                        > Publication Types: Historical Article
                                        > PMID: 11631818 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
                                        >

                                        > Indian J Hist Sci. 1981 May;16(1):31-5.
                                        > Medicinal use of opium and cannabis in medieval India.
                                        > Chaturvedi GN, Tiwari SK, Rai NP.
                                        > Publication Types: Historical Article
                                        > PMID: 11611777 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
                                        >

                                        > Indian J Hist Sci. 1981, recu 1982;16(1):31-5.
                                        > Medicinal use of opium and cannabis in Medieval India.
                                        > Chaturvedi GN, Tiwari SK, Rai NP.
                                        > Publication Types: Historical Article
                                        > PMID: 11611267 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
                                        >
                                        > -Kataryna

                                        -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika
                                        jenne@...
                                        "History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our
                                        death, but scorns
                                        to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive. It
                                        knows the names of the
                                        king's bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat.
                                        This is the way of
                                        human folly." -- Jean-Henri Fabre

                                        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------
                                        ------~-->
                                        Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson,
                                        Canon or Lexmark
                                        Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more
                                        to the US & Canada.
                                        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/PJ_
                                        qlB/TM
                                      • Kataryna Dragonweaver
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 6 1:51 PM
                                          I now have the maps of hemp dispersal and history.
                                          I will be posting them to the web site shortly.
                                          The first couple of .jpgs are the title page and contents page of the
                                          book that this info is from.
                                          -Kataryna