Use of Intoxicants in Indo-European Religious Practice

  • Jade
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 9, 2001
      Hello list members,

      > I've recently been reading some archaeological papers concerning digs in
      Eastern Europe. It seems that they are finding large quantities of hemp
      residue in what are thought to be ritual sites. Evidence seems to be
      pointing to the ancient Slavs having been heavy consumers of "herb" for
      religious purposes.
      > Anyone else know of similar practices in your cultures?

      my appologies to those of you who have recieved this post multiple times...I
      am interested in this topic and wanted to check to see if anyone else had
      heard of Slavs using hemp for religeous purposes...the idea of ancient
      Slavs being a bunch of pot-heads is funny to me (no offense intended! ;) and
      I have never heard of this.
      ~Jade
    • Dawn aka Achaxe
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 9, 2001
        Greetings Jade:
        The use of hallucinogens to enhance spiritual experiences is common to
        many ancient cultures. Scytho-Sarmatian cultures (700bc-200bc or so)used
        Cannabis in some sort of ritualistic way. Herodotus documents this in his
        Histories, saying "the scythians howled with delight" after inhaling steam
        from the burning plant. Rudenko and other archeologists have found small
        braziers with scorched hemp seeds in them, and a teepee frame with felt (or
        leather) appliqu�d covering, to support Herodotus' accounts. Imagine a small
        teepee, about 6' high, with a small brazier (in which hemp burned)set in the
        middle of it. One would stick one's head into the opening of the teepee and
        inhale deeply of the vapors, to promote spiritual visions or hallucinations.

        For further information on this subject as it relates to "ancient cultures
        of eastern europe", I would also suggest you do some research into the
        ancient Zoroastrian faith. Their use of an hallucinogenic substance they
        called "soma" in rituals has been related by some to the Scythian use of
        marijuana. There are many varied opinions on what exactly Soma was made
        with, whether it be cannabis, a mushroom, other herbs, or some combination.
        There have also been finds of ritual use of herbs that did not have any
        hallucinogenic properties. For example, residue of ma huang, a stimulant
        often used in china (ancient and modern day) has been found both in
        combination with valerian,(a hallucinogen) and on its own. The theory is
        that as populations and cultures migrated into different areas, supplies of
        plants, herbs or mushrooms that were easily obtainable in one geographical
        area, became scarce in another, and a substitute had to be found for the
        rituals, or done without.
        I fear I have begun to blather on about this. There are many resources on
        this subject out there, and the more you read about ancient cultures in
        specific, the more information you will unearth. ;-)
        I hope these words have been in some way helpful.
        Achaxe

        >Subject: [sig] Use of Intoxicants in Indo-European Religious Practice
        >Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 19:29:32 -0800
        >
        >Hello list members,
        >

        > > I've recently been reading some archaeological papers concerning digs in
        >Eastern Europe. It seems that they are finding large quantities of hemp
        >residue in what are thought to be ritual sites. Evidence seems to be
        >pointing to the ancient Slavs having been heavy consumers of "herb" for
        >religious purposes.
        > > Anyone else know of similar practices in your cultures?
        >
        >my appologies to those of you who have recieved this post multiple
        >times...I
        >am interested in this topic and wanted to check to see if anyone else had
        >heard of Slavs using hemp for religeous purposes...the idea of ancient
        >Slavs being a bunch of pot-heads is funny to me (no offense intended! ;)
        >and
        >I have never heard of this.
        >~Jade

      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
          > > I've recently been reading some archaeological papers concerning digs in
          > Eastern Europe. It seems that they are finding large quantities of hemp
          > residue in what are thought to be ritual sites. Evidence seems to be
          > pointing to the ancient Slavs having been heavy consumers of "herb" for
          > religious purposes.
          > > Anyone else know of similar practices in your cultures?

          The Scythians (who were not Slavs, as far as I know) were known for using
          indian hemp as an intoxicant-- they supposedly closed themselves up in a
          tent with burning hemp.

          However, I don't find any mention of burnt hemp (or hemp ashes) in
          books and articles in English covering Eastern Europe in period.

          Certainly hemp was widely used as a cloth and for food in Central and
          Eastern Europe in period: what do the books mean by 'hemp residue'?

          "So we gathered up our differences and threw them in the air
          And gave them to the wind that shakes the barley..."
        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
            I have never come across any mention of hemp used as intoxicant in any
            sources.

            Hemp was used, even in the early XX century, in the south of Russia, much as
            linen was used in the north. Hemp produced cloth (both fine and coarse),
            rope, etc. Climate and soil conditions determined where linen was grown and
            where hemp was cultivated.

            On the other hand, the Russian Chronicles, for one, denounce drunkenness in
            ways that seem to imply that ritual drunkenness was a part of pre-Christian
            religious observances, as well as dancing and singing. The Domostroi also
            takes dim view of these things, suggesting that they were still practiced in
            the XV century, at least.

            But no hemp.

            Predslava
          • Jenne Heise
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
              > On the other hand, the Russian Chronicles, for one, denounce drunkenness in
              > ways that seem to imply that ritual drunkenness was a part of pre-Christian
              > religious observances, as well as dancing and singing. The Domostroi also
              > takes dim view of these things, suggesting that they were still practiced in
              > the XV century, at least.

              A potent brew made from birch sap and various additives for beer to make
              it stronger (which might have produced psychoactive effects) seem to
              indicate that the favored intoxicant was alcohol.

              "So we gathered up our differences and threw them in the air
              And gave them to the wind that shakes the barley..."
            • Alastair Millar
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
                >It seems that they are finding large quantities of hemp residue in what
                >are thought to be ritual sites. Evidence seems to be pointing to the
                ancient
                >Slavs having been heavy consumers of "herb" for religious purposes.

                Which sites?
                And what, exactly, is meant by "hemp residue"? How is it preserved? and
                where?
                If this refers to the results of chemical analyses of residual material on
                the walls of ceramic vessels, then the 'large quantities' claim is
                immediately put into doubt...

                I'm also intrigued to know from what parts of pagan Slavic sanctuaries
                (which tended to be large-ish, open-air things) these "residues" came. If,
                as I suspect, the evidence is actually from vessels retrieved from burials,
                then the assumption of a religious connection is just that - an assumption,
                not supported by clear evidence.

                There is certainly _other_ archaeological evidence (which I'll look up the
                references for when I'm back in the office with my books) that the
                Scythians inhaled hemp - censers - but as far as I know no such objects
                have been found on pagan Slavic sites. I'll be happy for someone to correct
                me if I'm wrong, of course, but there is no strong belief in this part of
                the Slavic world that their predecessors were heavy consumers (tho' I make
                no comment when it comes to some of my archaeological colleagues...)

                There IS, however, a growing body of feeling that the distinctive shapes
                adopted by Celtic art were designed to be appreciated under the influence
                of drugs; those who have experimented claim that when under the influence,
                these shapes seem to move... As I recall, though, the evidence here is from
                narcotic residues (presumably from mushrooms) on grindstones, rather than
                for hemp consumption.

                Be careful, by the way, in what is translated (technically correctly) into
                English as "hemp" - it may just be the (non-cannabis) fibrous stuff that
                rope is made out of! Example: I know of a Palaeolithic site in Moravia
                where burnt clay contained "hemp impressions" that were the equivalent of
                string.

                Yours aye

                Alastair

                ---------------------------
                Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
              • VDNovach@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
                  For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a different
                  part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug. And I have some knowledge
                  of Archaeology and Anthropology. I know that some pagan cultures gave as
                  offerings to their deities. The Norse gave burnt offerings of unknown
                  substances to their Deities. It is possible that other cultures did equally
                  do the same I do not know of thw source of these findings of which are being
                  spoke of but would like to know more.

                • douglas petroff
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
                    Just as an aside, I do not believe there is a difference between rope hemp and the more adventurous sort, other than
                    one is male and the other is female. uses may include cordage, sealants ala oakum, or any type of sweetgrass incense,
                    not unlike the plains Indians. A very useful plant, as it was grown in the US since colonial times"not just for stoners"
                    Sergei B. >

                  • VDNovach@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 10, 2001
                      There is definitely it is part of the same plant but does not give the high

                    • Jenne Heise
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                        > For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a different
                        > part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug.

                        Um. Hemp is made by retting the fibers of the leaves of the cannabis
                        plant, I was under the impression that the part of the plant that is
                        currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the resin produced by the
                        plants but I'm told it's a bit different? However, before the turn of this
                        century herbals referred to two strains or varieties of hemp, marijuana
                        being 'cannibis indica' and hemp being cannabis sativa. Now biologists
                        classify them as the same strain but one wonders whether 'cannabis indica'
                        was a specialty variety bred by the Arabs for its intoxicating properties?

                        "My silences had not protected me. Your silences will not protect
                        you.... What are the words you do not yet have? What are the tyrannies
                        you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
                        sicken and die of them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde
                      • Jade
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 11, 2001
                          > > For on thing Hemp as you all may or may not know is made from a
                          different
                          > > part of the marijuana plant than the smoked drug.
                          >
                          > Um. Hemp is made by retting the fibers of the leaves of the cannabis
                          > plant, I was under the impression that the part of the plant that is
                          > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the resin produced by the
                          > plants but I'm told it's a bit different?

                          Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am told that this is an inferiour
                          product to the flower buds. It is usually the buds that are smoked...up here
                          in Alaska a variety of cannabis with very high levels of THC is produced in
                          the Matanuska-Susitna valley called "Matanuska Thunder *uck"....so named
                          because of the strength of it's narcotic and hallucinagenic effects. There's
                          a local producer of catnip with high essential oil content in it that
                          markets itself as Matanuska Thunder Struck...cats like to get high too, I
                          guess.
                          ~Jade
                        • Marilee Humason
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
                            --- Jade <jadedusoleil@...> wrote:
                            > This is scary that you guys know so much about
                            Marijuana. Is there something we should all know about
                            you guys???? Just kidding!!!!
                            B. Anastasia

                            > > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the
                            > resin produced by the
                            > > plants > Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am
                            told that
                            > this is an inferiour
                            > product to the flower buds. >

                            or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
                          • Jenne Heise
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 12, 2001
                              > > > currently smoked was the leaves. Hashish is the
                              > > resin produced by the
                              > > > plants > Sometimes the leaf is smoked, but I am
                              > told that
                              > > this is an inferiour
                              > > product to the flower buds. >

                              According to the Encyclopedia Britannica (look-- I'm woefully ignorant
                              about this sort of thing, so I have to go to the reference books):

                              "Marijuana, hashish, charas, ghanja, bhang, kef, and dagga are
                              names that have been applied to various varieties and preparations
                              of the hemp plant. Hashish, named after the Persian founder of the
                              Assassins of the 11th century (Hasan-e Sabbah), is the most potent
                              of the cannabis preparations, being about eight times as strong as
                              the marijuana used in the United States. Very few geographic
                              areas are capable of producing a plant rich enough in resins to
                              produce hashish. Unless sifted and powdered, hashish appears in a
                              hardened, brownish form with the degree of darkness indicating
                              strength. The North African either eats it in a confection or smokes
                              it, the water pipe often being used to cool the smoke. The effects
                              are more difficult to regulate when hashish is either ingested as a
                              confection or drunk. In India, this resinous preparation of cannabis
                              is called charas.

                              Ghanja is a less active form of cannabis. Whereas hashish and
                              charas are made from the pure resin, ghanja is prepared from the
                              flowering tops, stems, leaves, and twigs, which have less resin and
                              thus less potency. Ghanja is nevertheless one of the more potent
                              forms of cannabis. It is prepared from specially cultivated plants in
                              India, and the flowering tops have a relatively generous resinous
                              exudate. Ghanja is consumed much in the manner of charas.

                              Bhang is the least potent of the cannabis preparations used in India.
                              It does not contain the flowering tops found in ghanja. As a result,
                              bhang contains only a small amount of resin (5 percent). It is either
                              drunk or smoked. When drunk, the leaves are reduced to a fine
                              powder, brewed, and then filtered for use. Bhang is also drunk in
                              Hindu religious ceremonials.

                              Marijuana is the variety of cannabis grown in the Western
                              Hemisphere. Considered mild in comparison to other forms of
                              cannabis, it is similar in potency to the bhang used in India.
                              Typically, it is smoked, but occasionally it is brewed as a tea or
                              baked into cakes. Marijuana varies considerably in potency."