Re: [sig] Digest Number 751

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2001
      Hi Pavol!

      I live in Bohemia and speak Czech, and have done translations for
      archaeological institutions in both Slovakia and the Czech Rep. (as well as
      doing archaeological fieldwork in both countries).

      The problem we have is that the sources which are available in Czech and
      Slovak are unreliable - too many guesses, too much pure folklore, and not
      enough *evidence*... (I agree that there isn't enough in English, too, but
      that's a different problem ;-)).

      Some recommended reading for everyone who feels up to the Czech:

      M.Profant & N.Profantova - "Encyklopedie slovanskych bohu a mytu" (Nakl.
      Libri, 2000, ISBN 80-7277-011-X) - even seeking to cover the whole of the
      Slavic lands, this only reaches 250 pages... and is probably the most
      comprehensive "overview" of its subject available. All the important sites
      are here, from Altenkirchen to Zvenigorod.

      Jiri Svoboda - "Keltske motivy v ceskych povestech" (Nakl. MMM, 2001, ISBN
      80-901266-9-3) - this shows just how much supposedly Slavic folklore is
      actually rooted in Celtic mythology. (There is a short English resume that
      fails to do justice to the whole work: I should know, I translated it...
      anyone who wants this is welcome to contact me off list.)

      Cheers!

      Alastair
      Joining Predslava on the soapbox

      Alastair Millar
      Alastair Millar BSc (Hons)
      Translation & Consultancy for the Heritage Industry
      P.O. Box 685, CZ 111 21 Praha 1, Czech Republic
      E-mail: alastair@... url: http://www.skriptorium.cz