Re: [sig] Slavic Paganism

  • Pavol Repcik
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2001
      >In a message dated 11/20/2001 4:40:44 AM Central Standard Time,
      >Butler309@... writes:
      >
      >That's typical of ALL Slavic cultures. Echoes in Chronicles, traces of
      >archeological evidence, and nothing to pull any of it together to give an
      >image of Slavic paganism. I'm afraid we all have to live with no knowing.
      >
      >Predslava

      Hi,
      actually, I must say you're little bit mistaken. I'm from Slovakia and IMHO this
      part of our pre-christian history is quite well documented, but there are only
      few sources on the Internet (and I don't know about any in english :(( ). And
      also: some traditions can be found in folklore, of course little bit changed by
      christianity.
      For example this page (it's in Slovak) It's list of gods and some mythical
      entities:
      http://wont.home.sk/mytologia.htm

      Pavol
      p.s. excuse me for my poor english...
    • Art Plazewski
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 20, 2001
        Links for books and other stuff - in polish...:

        Henryk Lowmianski "Religia Slowian"

        http://www.torun.pdi.net/~mariusz/archeologia/szafraw.htm

        http://www.archeo.uw.edu.pl/antropologia/wiercin.htm

        http://www.miedzynami.com/Previous/April01/geografia.html

        http://joker.botik.ru/~board/mythology/slav.html ( in Russian)

        etc, etc...
        Art Plazewski.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 20, 2001
          Thankyou so much for the links...these are great! ;)
          ~Jade

        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 20, 2001
            In a message dated 11/20/2001 2:20:03 PM Central Standard Time,
            jbcp@... writes:

            > http://joker.botik.ru/~board/mythology/slav.html ( in Russian)

            There's nothing new there. It's rehashing the same old scattered sources and
            drawing conclusions from the comparison of what can be found in Chronicles
            and 19th-20th century ethnological and folkloric evidence. Paganism was
            pretty much gone by the 14h century. That would make a gap of 400-500 years
            that these authors are trying to bridge without any documentation. The
            theories are there, all the same, still no evidence of any facts, or any
            actual classical-type pantheon of gods, of any kind of "priestly" caste...

            Most of the sources quoted in the article are old, pre-dating interesting
            modern archeological discoveries that do not shed any light on the question,
            but rather cast more doubt on the idea of a Slavic paganism as any kind of
            organized religion.

            It was probably an agrarian cult. Probably. Not certainly.

            It was possibly shamanistic in nature, at least in part. Again, only possibly.

            Personally, I haven't found anything worth my time.

            There is just not enough information (as in period documents, whether written
            or as archeological evidence) for us to attempt any kind of recreation of
            Slavic paganism, whether West, East or South Slavic.

            Predslava, getting off her soapbox, again.

          • Art Plazewski
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 21, 2001
              There is a lot more sources but unfortunately they are In the libraries
              in polish universities - if you know someone there who can help - you
              hit the jackpot ;-)))
              Art

              Thankyou so much for the links...these are great! ;)
              ~Jade

              > Links for books and other stuff - in polish...:
              >
              > Henryk Lowmianski "Religia Slowian"

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/