Re: [sig] Slavic Paganism

  • Pavol Repcik
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2001
      >In a message dated 11/20/2001 4:40:44 AM Central Standard Time,
      >Butler309@... writes:
      >
      >That's typical of ALL Slavic cultures. Echoes in Chronicles, traces of
      >archeological evidence, and nothing to pull any of it together to give an
      >image of Slavic paganism. I'm afraid we all have to live with no knowing.
      >
      >Predslava

      Hi,
      actually, I must say you're little bit mistaken. I'm from Slovakia and IMHO this
      part of our pre-christian history is quite well documented, but there are only
      few sources on the Internet (and I don't know about any in english :(( ). And
      also: some traditions can be found in folklore, of course little bit changed by
      christianity.
      For example this page (it's in Slovak) It's list of gods and some mythical
      entities:
      http://wont.home.sk/mytologia.htm

      Pavol
      p.s. excuse me for my poor english...
    • Magistar_Ludi@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 20, 2001
        Slavic and/or Polish paganism is hard to find in any language.
        Here is one good starting point. Ithink it links to a few others. I
        have a few other slavic sites.
        http://www.okana.net/page.html ,
        Good Luck,
        Garo Janusz Antonuk-Lisowski
        (Miro Grozy)
      • Art Plazewski
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 20, 2001
          Links for books and other stuff - in polish...:

          Henryk Lowmianski "Religia Slowian"

          http://www.torun.pdi.net/~mariusz/archeologia/szafraw.htm

          http://www.archeo.uw.edu.pl/antropologia/wiercin.htm

          http://www.miedzynami.com/Previous/April01/geografia.html

          http://joker.botik.ru/~board/mythology/slav.html ( in Russian)

          etc, etc...
          Art Plazewski.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 20, 2001
            Thankyou so much for the links...these are great! ;)
            ~Jade

          • MHoll@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 20, 2001
              In a message dated 11/20/2001 2:20:03 PM Central Standard Time,
              jbcp@... writes:

              > http://joker.botik.ru/~board/mythology/slav.html ( in Russian)

              There's nothing new there. It's rehashing the same old scattered sources and
              drawing conclusions from the comparison of what can be found in Chronicles
              and 19th-20th century ethnological and folkloric evidence. Paganism was
              pretty much gone by the 14h century. That would make a gap of 400-500 years
              that these authors are trying to bridge without any documentation. The
              theories are there, all the same, still no evidence of any facts, or any
              actual classical-type pantheon of gods, of any kind of "priestly" caste...

              Most of the sources quoted in the article are old, pre-dating interesting
              modern archeological discoveries that do not shed any light on the question,
              but rather cast more doubt on the idea of a Slavic paganism as any kind of
              organized religion.

              It was probably an agrarian cult. Probably. Not certainly.

              It was possibly shamanistic in nature, at least in part. Again, only possibly.

              Personally, I haven't found anything worth my time.

              There is just not enough information (as in period documents, whether written
              or as archeological evidence) for us to attempt any kind of recreation of
              Slavic paganism, whether West, East or South Slavic.

              Predslava, getting off her soapbox, again.

            • Art Plazewski
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 21, 2001
                There is a lot more sources but unfortunately they are In the libraries
                in polish universities - if you know someone there who can help - you
                hit the jackpot ;-)))
                Art

                Thankyou so much for the links...these are great! ;)
                ~Jade

                > Links for books and other stuff - in polish...:
                >
                > Henryk Lowmianski "Religia Slowian"

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/