Re: [sig] Cult places located on the Eastern Coast of the Lake of Ohrid

  • Gjoko Apostolov
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2001
      Hello Jade,

      I'm glad that you're interested in same subject as me.
      I'm not quite sure if you have got the summary, but I think that you should. Old sacred sites of the Slavic pagans are not the main subject of my graduate work, but I have worked on cult places ( sacral places as sacred trees, springs, woods and hills, and also churches and graves ), located on the Eastern Coast of the Lake of Ohrid. To be more specific, Ohrid is the town where I live, and it is in Macedonia. Pagan elements in Macedonian national religion are still present, and also in this area. One of my methodology access to this problem is comparison method. I mean, to compare old pagan believes and those which are present nowadays, and are connected to the cult places and their implication on peoples life. It's very interesting, because I found a lot of elements, which connects pagan and Christian believes.
      I think that we can found more in common on this subject. If you found interesting this work, it would be my pleasure to cooperate.

      Gjoko
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2001
        Hello!
        I found this, and your summary, both interesting.
        While I was in Bosnia, I went to where the Buna River
        emerges from a cave at Blagaj after being underground
        for hundreds of miles (from Romania).
        Because of the river emerging from the cave, it has
        been a site of religious significance as far back as
        there are records. The Romans found an early tribe
        living there, conquered them, and set up house. Later
        it was the seat for the Kingdom of Hum (later
        Herzegovina). Even later, the Ottomans built a mosque
        there right against the cliff, which is still there,
        and in which two important religious people are
        entombed.
        The relationship of religion to water-sites seems to
        be somewhat consistent in the ancient beliefs.
        Janos

        --- Gjoko Apostolov <gjokoapostolov@...>
        wrote:

        <HR>
        <tt>
        Hello Jade,<BR>
        <BR>
        I'm glad that you're interested in same subject as me.
        <BR>
        I'm not quite sure if you have got the summary, but I
        think  that you should. Old sacred sites of the
        Slavic pagans are not the main subject of my graduate
        work, but I have worked on cult places ( sacral places
        as sacred trees, springs, woods and hills, and also
        churches and graves ), located on the Eastern Coast of
        the Lake of Ohrid. To be more specific, Ohrid is the
        town where I live, and it is in Macedonia. Pagan
        elements in Macedonian national religion are still
        present, and also in this area. One of my methodology
        access to this problem is comparison method. I mean,
        to compare old pagan believes and those which are
        present nowadays, and are connected to the cult places
        and their implication on peoples life. It's very
        interesting, because I found a lot of elements, which
        connects pagan and Christian believes.<BR>
        I think that we can found more in common on this
        subject. If you found interesting this work, it would
        be my pleasure to cooperate.<BR>
        <BR>
        Gjoko<BR>

        =====
        JEFFREY C. SMITH
        Heidelberg, Germany

        "There are no useful suggestions to be found in 'give peace a chance' when the other side has dedicated itself to a bloody holy war against American men, women and children.
        Now, if someone wants to write a song that goes something like: 'All we are saying is give a sustained aerial bombing with coordinated ground assaults a chance' that might be helpful." -- Jonah Goldberg

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2001
          > The relationship of religion to water-sites seems to
          > be somewhat consistent in the ancient beliefs.
          > Janos

          Comment: there is an extensive section on just that relationship in,
          _European paganism : the realities of cult from antiquity to the Middle
          Ages_ by Ken Dowden, (New York : Routledge, 2000) if anyone is
          interested.

          "And here's to the girls who just watch, aren't they the best?
          When they get depressed it's a bottle of scotch, plus a little jest.
          Another chance to disapprove, another brillant zinger
          Another reason not to move, another vodka stinger... I'll drink to that."