summary again

  • Gjoko Apostolov
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2001
      Ok.
      I forgot that I can send the text in a regular way.
      So here it is.
      Gjoko

      Summary

      Cult places located on the Eastern Coast of the Lake of Ohrid, represent sacral objects that have played quite significant role both in the national religion and in the believes of the people who live in the eight villages in this area. Since these villages are mainly populated with Macedonians, the Christianity is fundamental feature of their believes. However, according to the researches on field in this area, it is more than obvious that a great deal of heathen � animistic elements still remain, although they are not part of Christianity, they are accepted by the church which gave them Christianity denominator.

      Cult places from this area can be divided into 2 categories:

      1.. category �nature�, and

      2.. category �culture�

      E.g. one appeared naturally (trees, springs, woods and hills), and others created by the man (churches and graves).

      The main functions of the cult places, viewed from the aspect of national religion, are the believes linked with their curing power. These sacral objects are both respected and visited by the people, moreover to solve certain problems they are facing with, such as health and social problems. During the ritual ceremony and socceries performed at the places of cult, a special attention is paid on the way and time they are performed and the period in which the results are expected. The act of giving �gifts� at the cult places is especially significant as a custom with deep animistic roots.

      In these occasion it has to be emphasized the most respected and the most visited cult place in these area � the grave of St. Naum Ohridski, located at the monastery that has the same name. Its curing power has been practiced not only by the Christians, but by other religion as well.

      Results obtained by on field researches and presented in this paper work in great deal are in coordination with general scientific acknowledgments included in national religion of Macedonia, as well as in all Slavic religions.