Re: [sig] Fw: this made me think of you

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
      In a message dated 11/7/2001 9:31:16 AM Central Standard Time,
      janos@... writes:

      > There is/was Russian heraldry.

      Just completely OOP.

      Predslava.

    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
        Well, we know they didn't really do "Personal"
        Hereldry. Maybe they did do things like
        Principalities.
        Can anyone who has been to Russia shed some light? I
        found that 16th century and on in Slovakia defiantely
        has Hereldry.
        Baroness Anastasia

        http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1482705254

        > Yours,
        > Voevoda Nadezhda Toranova

        Find a job, post your resume.
        http://careers.yahoo.com
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
          In a message dated 11/7/2001 9:24:55 PM Central Standard Time,
          stasiwa@... writes:

          > Maybe they did do things like
          > Principalities.

          No, not in period, and especially not in any SCA-recognizable form (not I
          didn't even say registerable). There were heraldic-like things going, but not
          actual formal heraldry that we could use.

          > Can anyone who has been to Russia shed some light? I
          > found that 16th century and on in Slovakia defiantely

          So did Poland in period. But not Russia. And a 16-C. portrait of Ivan IV with
          a heraldic-looking image of St George does not qualify as heraldry. Just a
          heraldic-like thingie on a portrait.

          No, unfortunately for our game, there is no period Russian heraldry in
          recognizable or usable form.

          Predslava.

        • Jeff Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
            --- MHoll@... wrote:

            <HR>
            <tt>
            In a message dated 11/7/2001 9:31:16 AM Central
            Standard Time, <BR>
            janos@... writes:<BR>
            <BR>
            <BR>
            > There is/was Russian heraldry.� <BR>
            <BR>
            Just completely OOP.<BR>
            <BR>
            Predslava.<BR>

            I guess it depends on how strictly you define Russian.

            Since this book is about Russian principalities, it
            would seem to include most of what is now Russia, plus
            Belarus.

            Go to
            http://jurix.jura.uni-sb.de/~serko/history/pahonia.html
            to see European style heraldry on a seal from 1407 and
            two others from 16th century chronicles.

            Janos

            =====
            JEFFREY C. SMITH
            Heidelberg, Germany

            "There are no useful suggestions to be found in 'give peace a chance' when the other side has dedicated itself to a bloody holy war against American men, women and children.
            Now, if someone wants to write a song that goes something like: 'All we are saying is give a sustained aerial bombing with coordinated ground assaults a chance' that might be helpful." -- Jonah Goldberg

            Find a job, post your resume.
            http://careers.yahoo.com