Re: [sig] Book reccomendation

  • tbovee@juno.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
      On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:54:51 -0800 "Dmitriy V Ryaboy"
      <dvryaboy@...> writes:
      > I have just heard a ringing endorsement from a *Russian* historian
      > for this book:
      > The Emergence of Rus 750-1200 (Longman history of Russia) by Simon
      > Franklin, Jonathan Shepard. Addison-Wesley, May 1996, ISBN:
      058249091X

      > A bit pricey, but apparently, excellent.

      I've been trying to get my hands on a copy for ~2 years. Was the
      endorcement any more specific than "ringing"?

      Cheers
      Aleksandra Drakonova

      "Reputation is what other people know about
      you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
      - LM Bujold, _A Civil Campaign_
    • Dmitriy V Ryaboy
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
        Hi Aleksandra & others,

        You can easily buy the book from amazon.com -- they even have sample pages
        up, and promise 2-3 day shipping.

        The "ringing endorsement" is this:
        "The problem is that it is currently fairly hard to put together all of the
        written sources and the huge number of archaeological material
        (interpretation of which is also far from finished). There haven't been any
        large works that would attempt to solve a problem like this. The eception --
        to my great surprise, the book "The Emergence of Rus. 750-1200" by the
        English scholars Franklin and Shepard."

        Any time a Russian historian reccomends an English book to another Russian
        speaker, you know it's gotta be good.

        -Dmitriy

        > I've been trying to get my hands on a copy for ~2 years. Was the
        > endorcement any more specific than "ringing"?
        >
        > Cheers
        > Aleksandra Drakonova

      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2001
          > > The Emergence of Rus 750-1200 (Longman history of Russia) by Simon
          > > Franklin, Jonathan Shepard. Addison-Wesley, May 1996, ISBN:
          > 058249091X
          > >
          > I've been trying to get my hands on a copy for ~2 years. Was the
          > endorcement any more specific than "ringing"?

          Hm.. I checked our library's copy of this out for Kat'ryna. Kat'ryna, want
          to take a look at it and see if anything catches your eye in terms of good
          or bad?

          "Let's by all means grieve together. But let's not be stupid together. A
          few shreds of historical awareness might help us understand what has just
          happened, and what may continue to happen." - Susan Sontag, The New Yorker
        • RaceMarre@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2001
            In a message dated 11/7/01 9:26:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            jenne@... writes:

            > > The Emergence of Rus 750-1200 (Longman history of Russia) by Simon
            > > > Franklin, Jonathan Shepard. Addison-Wesley, May 1996, ISBN:
            > > 058249091X

            There is a copy up for bid on Ebay right now.

            Lady Anne
            Trimaris

          • Kate Jones
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2001
              Jenne Heise sez:

              > > > The Emergence of Rus 750-1200 (Longman history of Russia) by Simon
              > > > Franklin, Jonathan Shepard. Addison-Wesley, May 1996, ISBN:
              > > 058249091X
              > > >
              > > I've been trying to get my hands on a copy for ~2 years. Was the
              > > endorcement any more specific than "ringing"?
              >
              > Hm.. I checked our library's copy of this out for Kat'ryna. Kat'ryna, want
              > to take a look at it and see if anything catches your eye in terms of good
              > or bad?

              Oh.

              Um, yeah. Guess I ought to, since I've only had the thing for months now...

              Kat'ryna
              --
              Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
              kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2001
                --- Kate Jones <kate@...> wrote:
                > Jenne Heise sez:

                > of Russia) by Simon
                > May 1996, ISBN:
                > > > 058249091X
                > > > >

                > Oh.
                >
                > Um, yeah. Guess I ought to, since I've only had the
                > thing for months now...
                >
                > Kat'ryna
                > --

                I have to say, I am really glad I am not the only one
                on this universe that ends up with really big Library
                fees.
                Baroness Anastasia

                Find a job, post your resume.
                http://careers.yahoo.com
              • Parsla Liepa
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2001
                  > I have to say, I am really glad I am not the only one
                  > on this universe that ends up with really big Library
                  > fees.
                  > Baroness Anastasia

                  That's when it's handy to have a friend who works at the library. *grin
                  When I was at the University of Michigan, a friend of mine always made
                  sure that my fines were "paid". He knew me, and he knew that I'd give the
                  books back... when I was done with them.

                  Parsla
                • Lewis Tanzos
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2001
                    > > Um, yeah. Guess I ought to, since I've only had the
                    > > thing for months now...
                    > I have to say, I am really glad I am not the only one on this
                    > universe that ends up with really big Library fees.

                    Unfortunately (fortunately?), Jadwiga is library staff, and gets to
                    keep the things for ungodly long times. Possibly 'indefinitely, or
                    until we need it back'. So Kat'ryna isn't racking up the fees.

                    - Istvan
                  • Jenne Heise
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 9, 2001
                      > Unfortunately (fortunately?), Jadwiga is library staff, and gets to
                      > keep the things for ungodly long times. Possibly 'indefinitely, or
                      > until we need it back'. So Kat'ryna isn't racking up the fees.

                      Of course I make up for that by racking up fines at the public library.

                      -- Jadwiga, still making time payments on library fines from a community
                      she moved out of 5 years ago.