Book reccomendation

  • Dmitriy V Ryaboy
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
      I have just heard a ringing endorsement from a *Russian* historian for this
      book:
      The Emergence of Rus 750-1200 (Longman history of Russia) by Simon Franklin,
      Jonathan Shepard. Addison-Wesley, May 1996, ISBN: 058249091X

      A bit pricey, but apparently, excellent.
    • tbovee@juno.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
        On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:54:51 -0800 "Dmitriy V Ryaboy"
        <dvryaboy@...> writes:
        > I have just heard a ringing endorsement from a *Russian* historian
        > for this book:
        > The Emergence of Rus 750-1200 (Longman history of Russia) by Simon
        > Franklin, Jonathan Shepard. Addison-Wesley, May 1996, ISBN:
        058249091X

        > A bit pricey, but apparently, excellent.

        I've been trying to get my hands on a copy for ~2 years. Was the
        endorcement any more specific than "ringing"?

        Cheers
        Aleksandra Drakonova

        "Reputation is what other people know about
        you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
        - LM Bujold, _A Civil Campaign_
      • Dmitriy V Ryaboy
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
          Hi Aleksandra & others,

          You can easily buy the book from amazon.com -- they even have sample pages
          up, and promise 2-3 day shipping.

          The "ringing endorsement" is this:
          "The problem is that it is currently fairly hard to put together all of the
          written sources and the huge number of archaeological material
          (interpretation of which is also far from finished). There haven't been any
          large works that would attempt to solve a problem like this. The eception --
          to my great surprise, the book "The Emergence of Rus. 750-1200" by the
          English scholars Franklin and Shepard."

          Any time a Russian historian reccomends an English book to another Russian
          speaker, you know it's gotta be good.

          -Dmitriy

          > I've been trying to get my hands on a copy for ~2 years. Was the
          > endorcement any more specific than "ringing"?
          >
          > Cheers
          > Aleksandra Drakonova

        • Jenne Heise
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2001
            > > The Emergence of Rus 750-1200 (Longman history of Russia) by Simon
            > > Franklin, Jonathan Shepard. Addison-Wesley, May 1996, ISBN:
            > 058249091X
            > >
            > I've been trying to get my hands on a copy for ~2 years. Was the
            > endorcement any more specific than "ringing"?

            Hm.. I checked our library's copy of this out for Kat'ryna. Kat'ryna, want
            to take a look at it and see if anything catches your eye in terms of good
            or bad?

            "Let's by all means grieve together. But let's not be stupid together. A
            few shreds of historical awareness might help us understand what has just
            happened, and what may continue to happen." - Susan Sontag, The New Yorker
          • RaceMarre@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2001
              In a message dated 11/7/01 9:26:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              jenne@... writes:

              > > The Emergence of Rus 750-1200 (Longman history of Russia) by Simon
              > > > Franklin, Jonathan Shepard. Addison-Wesley, May 1996, ISBN:
              > > 058249091X

              There is a copy up for bid on Ebay right now.

              Lady Anne
              Trimaris

            • Kate Jones
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2001
                Jenne Heise sez:

                > > > The Emergence of Rus 750-1200 (Longman history of Russia) by Simon
                > > > Franklin, Jonathan Shepard. Addison-Wesley, May 1996, ISBN:
                > > 058249091X
                > > >
                > > I've been trying to get my hands on a copy for ~2 years. Was the
                > > endorcement any more specific than "ringing"?
                >
                > Hm.. I checked our library's copy of this out for Kat'ryna. Kat'ryna, want
                > to take a look at it and see if anything catches your eye in terms of good
                > or bad?

                Oh.

                Um, yeah. Guess I ought to, since I've only had the thing for months now...

                Kat'ryna
                --
                Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
                kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2001
                  --- Kate Jones <kate@...> wrote:
                  > Jenne Heise sez:

                  > of Russia) by Simon
                  > May 1996, ISBN:
                  > > > 058249091X
                  > > > >

                  > Oh.
                  >
                  > Um, yeah. Guess I ought to, since I've only had the
                  > thing for months now...
                  >
                  > Kat'ryna
                  > --

                  I have to say, I am really glad I am not the only one
                  on this universe that ends up with really big Library
                  fees.
                  Baroness Anastasia

                  Find a job, post your resume.
                  http://careers.yahoo.com
                • Parsla Liepa
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2001
                    > I have to say, I am really glad I am not the only one
                    > on this universe that ends up with really big Library
                    > fees.
                    > Baroness Anastasia

                    That's when it's handy to have a friend who works at the library. *grin
                    When I was at the University of Michigan, a friend of mine always made
                    sure that my fines were "paid". He knew me, and he knew that I'd give the
                    books back... when I was done with them.

                    Parsla
                  • Lewis Tanzos
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 9, 2001
                      > > Um, yeah. Guess I ought to, since I've only had the
                      > > thing for months now...
                      > I have to say, I am really glad I am not the only one on this
                      > universe that ends up with really big Library fees.

                      Unfortunately (fortunately?), Jadwiga is library staff, and gets to
                      keep the things for ungodly long times. Possibly 'indefinitely, or
                      until we need it back'. So Kat'ryna isn't racking up the fees.

                      - Istvan
                    • Jenne Heise
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 9, 2001
                        > Unfortunately (fortunately?), Jadwiga is library staff, and gets to
                        > keep the things for ungodly long times. Possibly 'indefinitely, or
                        > until we need it back'. So Kat'ryna isn't racking up the fees.

                        Of course I make up for that by racking up fines at the public library.

                        -- Jadwiga, still making time payments on library fines from a community
                        she moved out of 5 years ago.