Re: Slavic Names

  • Magistar_Ludi@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 5, 2001
      If you search around the following ste and check out the links you will
      find alt of slavic names listed. Not just Polish, though it is a Polish
      site:
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~atpc/learn/tools/commonwords.html
    • K2356@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
        Hello
        Question about a Russian name, i have a Slavic women friend name Svetlana
        and we had a discussion regarding Russian Women names , i ask her what
        was a orginial slavic women name.

        Anyway to make a long story short she stated that Svetlana was not a
        orginial Slavic name, she stated that the name Svetlana came from ancient
        Babylon.

        does anyone know if this is true ?

        kevin
      • goldschp@mailbag.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
          No idea where it came from, but I can confidently confirm that Svetlana is not
          even a period Russian name.

          > Anyway to make a long story short she stated that Svetlana was not a
          > orginial Slavic name, she stated that the name Svetlana came from ancient
          > Babylon.
        • yanajenn
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, goldschp@m... wrote:
            > No idea where it came from, but I can confidently confirm that
            Svetlana is not
            > even a period Russian name.

            So, when does it appear Russia, oh mighty name god? :-)

            --Yana
          • Kinjal of Moravia
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "yanajenn" <yana@a...> wrote:
              > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, goldschp@m... wrote:
              > > No idea where it came from, but I can confidently confirm that
              > Svetlana is not
              > > even a period Russian name.
              >

              > So, when does it appear Russia, oh mighty name god? :-)
              >
              > --Yana

              One must remember that even in 60's, in the power of the USSR, over
              a third of the populous spoke Turkish as their natural tongue. In
              medieval times the influence of Cuman, Alan and Persian cultures in
              southern Russian cannot be discounted. But to me, (a non-Slavic)
              they are all Russian.

              Kinjal (waiting for attack)
            • MHoll@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
                In a message dated 6/13/2003 1:20:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
                gusarimagic@... writes:

                > But to me, (a non-Slavic)
                > they are all Russian.

                You'll get your attack. Russian is a culture, a language, and an ethnic
                group. Do not succumb to Soviet propaganda and lump all things from the former
                Soviet union under the a Sovietized blanket. You'll offend every ethnic group, not
                just the Russians.

                Predslava.

              • Lochnad
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
                  <<sig@yahoogroups.com>) wrote:

                  [sig] Slavic Names

                  orginial Slavic name, she stated that the name Svetlana came from
                  ancient
                  Babylon.

                  at "Prosvjetin imenoslov" (Prosvjeta, Zagreb, First edition, 1984., edited by
                  Prof. dr. Milan Bosanac) stand that Svetlana is very old name. There exists lot
                  of names with root "svetlo/svetla" meaning "light", "bright". Svetlana is often
                  name in Serbia (nick-name derived from this name is Ceca).

                  Nenad
                • Kinjal of Moravia
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, MHoll@a... wrote:
                    > In a message dated 6/13/2003 1:20:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    > gusarimagic@r... writes:
                    >
                    > > But to me, (a non-Slavic)
                    > > they are all Russian.
                    > >

                    > You'll get your attack. Russian is a culture, a language, and an
                    ethnic
                    > group. Do not succumb to Soviet propaganda and lump all things
                    from the former
                    > Soviet union under the a Sovietized blanket. You'll offend every
                    ethnic group, not
                    > just the Russians.
                    >
                    > Predslava.

                    Great response -- I joined this site to learn. Yet it bothers me
                    when I see posting that want to pretend the Russian Culture (or any
                    other) sprange forth like a crystal gem of special purity. I think
                    the fact that a culture is a blending of many other lands and
                    peoples is part of the beauty. In my research, I can identify at
                    least 15 cultures that interacted in early Kiev and Novgorad. Yet
                    someone can now say only a few words derive from Nordic -- get real.
                    If ethnic groups are offended by history -- let them be. If
                    Muscovites want to pretent their wives were not raped by Tartars and
                    Cumans, let them -- but it doesn't change fact.

                    Kinjal

                  • goldschp@mailbag.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
                      This is all very nice, but I'd like to see a dated reference to the name or
                      its presence in any period (pre-1650) manuscript. I've never ever found it
                      and my sources, including a philologist/linguist at SPb State University, told
                      me the name is recent.

                      Based on slavic roots, yes. "Very old" could mean 19th century. Find me a
                      pre 17th century reference.

                      I've only ever found the name in the 19th and 20th centuries.

                    • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
                        For some reason I thought it was a Norse name...
                        But I'm not a name person in the slightest.
                        -Kataryna
                      • yanajenn
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 14, 2003
                          A reminder/warning to all those involved in these current threads. Do
                          not attack each other, attack the ideas. You are welcome to tear an
                          *idea* to shreds, but only if you can do it without casting aspersions
                          on the character and intelligence of the other poster. No baiting the
                          other posters, please. That is just immature and repugnant. Please
                          remember that you are debating and teaching, not having a fist-fight.

                          As for the ideas themselves; opinions should be marked as opinions
                          only, and back your hard information up with sources. Also, remember
                          that this list deals with SCA-period Slavic lands and neighbors (up to
                          1650-ish CE), not the 18th or 19th centuries.

                          --Yana, list moderator
                        • P&MSulisz
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 14, 2003
                            Hello, everyone,
                            Well, i've joined this group right now, so I don't know the current
                            discussion.
                            I'm not an etymologist - only art historian - but for me (living in
                            Poland, 8 years of Russian at school) Svetlana is an old pagan east Slavic
                            name. It means the same as very old and not used now 'Jasna' in Polish,
                            something like 'bright' (female) in English. Of course you can find some
                            similarity in meaning with bablionian Istar, but it is not the point. (My
                            mother in law is an etymologist - I will ask her one day).
                            Greetings,
                            Magdalena of Vratislavia

                            > > No idea where it came from, but I can confidently confirm that
                            > Svetlana is not
                            > > even a period Russian name.
                            >

                            > So, when does it appear Russia, oh mighty name god? :-)
                            >
                            > --Yana

                          • Anthony J. Bryant
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 14, 2003
                              Kevin wrote:

                              > Question about a Russian name, i have a Slavic women friend name Svetlana
                              > and we had a discussion regarding Russian Women names , i ask her what
                              > was a orginial slavic women name.
                              >
                              > Anyway to make a long story short she stated that Svetlana was not a
                              > orginial Slavic name, she stated that the name Svetlana came from ancient
                              > Babylon.
                              >
                              > does anyone know if this is true ?

                              Well, according to "Slovar Russkikh Lichnykh Imen", she's wrong. It might be a translation of something
                              originally non Slavic, but it's a Slavic name through and through.

                              The entry for "Svetlana" says "Slavic" and refers "Fem., from Svetlan (q.v.)" -- Svetlan, it says,
                              "Slavic. Rare." and defines them as "From Svet- ".

                              Now.... as to how old it is... I have no idea. But it's definitely Slavic. She may be referring to the
                              root of the name being a translation from something else, but there's no indication in the Name Dic. that
                              it's a case of Petros --> Pierre. For such names, the dictionary always says "From Greek" or "Biblical"
                              or some such.

                              Effingham
                              ---------
                              show France how you feel: just say "non"
                              http://www.cafeshops.com/justsaynon