All Things Ukrainian

  • Pomestnik Nikulai Ivanovich
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2001
      A local Greek Orthodox church held their annual Greek Festival this past
      weekend. When my peer and I walked through the entry way, we were
      immediately confronted with a merchant booth displaying at least 100 psyanky
      eggs, laquer boxes, embroidered shirts, etc. We spent almost an hour
      conversing with the merchant, examining the embroidery, etc. Almost all of
      his wares were hand made by his family who still live in the Ukrain, and he
      posts pictures of everything that comes through his booth on his web site
      http://www.allthingsukrainian.com I am still not sure why he was at a Greek
      festival, but the band was also playing Shalom Alechem, so....
    • Jenn Ridley
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2001
        nikulai wrote:

        >A local Greek Orthodox church held their annual Greek Festival this past
        >weekend.... Almost all of
        >his wares were hand made by his family who still live in the Ukrain, and he
        >posts pictures of everything that comes through his booth on his web site
        >http://www.allthingsukrainian.com I am still not sure why he was at a Greek
        >festival, but the band was also playing Shalom Alechem, so....

        It may be his church. There are a lot of areas that only have one
        Orthodox congregation, and all the Orthodox in the area attend that
        church, whether or not it is nominally correct. I know that the
        congregation my dad grew up in was a Russian Orthodox church, but
        there were a number of Greeks in it.

        stasia
        --
        Anastasia Emilianova