russianhistory.org

  • Dmitriy V Ryaboy
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2001
      The site is a well-organized collection of links to resources on Russian
      history -- mainly modern, but some stuff that falls in our period, too.

      Found this tidbit in there:

      Dictionary of Period Russian Names
      Paul Goldschmidt

      It is somewhat ironic that the largest on-line database devoted to a Russian
      historical subject was not produced by a Russian historian at all, but
      rather by a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism. Paul Goldschmidt
      (aka "Paul Wickenden of Thanet") has produced an incredible dictionary of
      medieval and early modern Russian names. It includes over 25000 entries.
      Though the author claims not to be a historian, he follows all of the
      professional standards for documentation. Would it that "actual" historians
      on the Web would do the same.

      Yaaay, Paul! ;-)