Kitajka - name of fabric type... translation?

  • Rick Orli
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2001
      I was translating a Polish text and encountered "Kitajka" Smooth silk
      fabric, unicolored or `sparkling' (when weft thread differs from the
      warp color). This type of material was produced in the east, and was
      imported from turkey in the XVII Century.

      Word not found in a large dictionary. Any idea? - maybe Taffeta?

      Thanks, Rick Orli
    • Shubelka, Mark
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2001
        oh no (trembles in fear) Polish Tartan, ew!

        I was translating a Polish text and encountered "Kitajka" Smooth silk
        fabric, unicolored or `sparkling' (when weft thread differs from the
        warp color). This type of material was produced in the east, and was
        imported from turkey in the XVII Century.

        Word not found in a large dictionary. Any idea? - maybe Taffeta?

        Thanks, Rick Orli

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=168643.1620686.3205344.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17057675
        03:HM/A=816903/R=1/*http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?cid=12973>

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=168643.1620686.3205344.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17057675
        03:HM/A=816903/R=2/*http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?cid=12973>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=168643.1620686.3205344.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=1705767503:HM/A=816903/rand=336523643>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2001
          In Russian, it refers to a plain cotton fabric (I understand plain, simple
          weave), originally dull yellow, imported from China.

          No sources in Polish. No translations anywhere (so far).

          Predslava.

        • Art Plazewski
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2001
            Word "kitajka" is rather not translate able ; it is polish slang
            for something Chinese - kitajce - people from China(Kataj).
            Art.

[...]

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Parsla Liepa
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 2001
              The modern English term for weft and wrap threads differing in color is
              "shot". I seem to recall mention of shot silk in Elizabethan gowns, but I
              may be wrong with that.