need help finging picture of Russian Garb

  • L. Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2001
      Greetings to all,

      A dear friend of mine is planning an SCA wedding and wants to do it in period Russian. I was describing to her a picture I had seen from one of the lists I am on of a SCA member in a really drop dead gorgeous elaborate Russian white caftan kind of gown with a matching headdress. I only remember that it was white with lots of gold on it. Of course I can't find the link anymore and I really want her to see this dress. If anyone has any clue what I am talking about, please, please, please send me the link and I will be in your debt.

      Thank you,
      Pericleia
      zeninegits@...

    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2001
        >A dear friend of mine is planning an SCA wedding and wants to do it in
        >period Russian. I was describing to her a picture I had seen from one of
        >the lists I am on of a SCA member in a really drop dead gorgeous elaborate
        >Russian white caftan kind of gown with a matching headdress. I only
        >remember that it was white with lots of gold on it. Of course I can't find
        >the link anymore and I really want her to see this dress. If anyone has
        >any clue what I am talking about, please, please, please send me the link
        >and I will be in your debt.
        >
        >Thank you,
        >Pericleia
        >zeninegits@...

        Well, hmm...where have I seen information on period Russian weddings? Oh
        yeah! Here is the article which my husband wrote:
        <http://braid.freeservers.com/tiart.html>, which is part of the planning
        for my own (postponed) Russian wedding:
        <http://braid.freeservers.com/wedding.html>.

        As for clothing, the appropriate color for a wedding sarafan is _red_, most
        definitely. For examples of decoration and such, see the photos on the
        Medieval Russia pages at
        <http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com/images.html> and
        <http://medievalrussia.freeservers.com/dress.html>. I would bet that the
        photo of the white Russian sarafan is this one:
        <http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6419/pw/penfash97b.html>, click
        on "Mistress Lilibeta Rudenko." For male clothing of about the same
        period, go a few entries down and click on "Master Mordak Sergeev syn
        Rostovskogo."

        Good luck to your friend, does she happen to know of the Slavic Interest
        Group herself? If not, please tell her about us and encourage her to join
        the discussion!

        --Yana
      • Kuzniar, Wendy
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2001
          I am just helping with the garb and being one of the bridesmaids, the
          clergyman is up to the bride and groom. :-)
          Hello Periclea,
          I know which picture you want, but can't find it again - it's from Pennsic a
          couple of years ago. I'm cudgeling my brain to remember who it was... She
          had gold trim on white (brocade??).

          Nezkha (trim-o-phile)

          At 04:36 PM 10/2/01 -0500, you wrote:
          >Pericleia wrote:
          >

          > > A dear friend of mine is planning an SCA wedding and wants to do it in
          > period Russian. I was describing to her a picture I had seen from one of
          > the lists I am on of a SCA member in a really drop dead gorgeous
          > elaborate Russian white caftan kind of gown with a matching headdress. I
          > only remember that it was white with lots of gold on it. Of course I
          > can't find the link anymore and I really want her to see this dress. If
          > anyone has any clue what I am talking about, please, please, please send
          > me the link and I will be in your debt.
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > > Pericleia

        • Kuzniar, Wendy