Re: Red Hair

  • Magistar_Ludi@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 19, 2001
      This subject came up on a Polish list I am a member of. I have red hair
      as does my Polish Grandmother.
      Red hair supposedly only comes from two sources. One is the ancient
      Picts of Scotland. The other is a mixture of Scandanavian blondes with
      meditteranean blondes.
      Of course Geronimo had red hair so that theory opens other theories.
      How did I get my red hair? Not from the Rus who settled in the Ukraine
      area as they never made it to Poland.
      But....during the reformation, Scottish Catholics settled in Ireland
      and Poland, and they got there red hair, not from the celtics, but frm
      the celts who intermingled with the Picts.
      Otherwords, I don't know for sure, because that dosn't answer the
      question of the Scithians or the Orientals.
      ~GJ Antonuk-Lis
    • Robert Hiltibidal
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2001
        Howdy

        Whilst in my search for good quality pictures of Kiev
        Rus armour, clothing and what not I cam upon the
        following site:

        http://www.vikinganswerlady.org/ibn_fdln.htm

        Now... anyone who's read "Eaters of the Dead" and/or
        seen "13th Warrior" might appreciate this site. :o)

        It gives what they did wrong in producing the movie
        and references along with pics on what *should* have
        appeared.

        I'm still looking for good pics and solid references
        on what would be normal for 13th century Kiev Rus
        period clothing, armamnet, names etc. Amy links and
        info would be of great help.

        Thanks,
        -Rob

      • Magistar_Ludi@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24, 2001
          Red hair? Will we ever know?
          Interesting that the American Indian Geronimo had red hair, or so they
          said.
          And I always heard the rumor that St Peter had red hair, but that might
          have been due to his fiery temperment.
          I think everyone had red hair and the rest are just mutants. (Just
          Kidding)
          -Janusz,
          The Red Haired League
        • Magistar_Ludi@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2001
            Being the one E D took exception to I have to say he brought up some
            good points.
            Being a student of Anthropology, well maybe a graduate if you can ever
            graduate from the study of people, I must admit to what I thought was my
            belief in 1976 is much different from what it is now.
            I am a red haired Slav, I always will be, but I have a thirst of where
            I came from. Not just Poland and the Ukraine but the places before that.
            This info you have provided will be diagnosed and discussed with some
            of my colleages.
            I cannot put my degree in Folklore and Mythology to waste.
            There is so much to be learned.
            The game is afoot.
            ---GJ Antonuk-Lis
            Graf von Galizien und Baron von Eichenhaufen
          • Magistar_Ludi@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 14, 2001
              Actually my grandmother had red hair. She was from Trzebina near the
              Czech border. My father had blue eyes as does my brother. But me and my
              brother are Polish, German and Ukranian.
              The part of the Ukraine was heavly populated by germans (Ostrog).
              A true Slavic race? Allmost like a true
              American race. And my kids are half-asian to go with their slavc roots.
              ---GJ Antonuk-Lis