Re: [sig] Digest Number 697 fabric design sources

  • Linda Learn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2001
      Greetings Rick,

      As to my 'Polish fabric merchant' reference, that is my persona in the SCA.
      My maternal grandparents immigrated from Poland just after the turn of the
      century and I have always been drawn to study the history and arts of
      Poland, so .... I'm "Maria Piekneplotno (pronounced med-ee [rolled r in
      mary] pee-enk na pwoot no..... and meaning "pretty raw materials", loosely
      translated as pretty fabrics), the Polish fabric merchant from ca. 1500,
      living in Venice where all the good fabrics are".

      The books I use for my references include textile design and history books
      as well as costuming references:
      A Dover Publications book that is easily obtainable through most
      booksellers, interlibrary loan or the Dover site
      http://www.doverpublications.com is:
      Historic Textile Patterns in Full Color, by Friedrich Fischbach, ISBN
      0-486-27074-2
      There are some from the 9th c. and up through the 1800s in that book.

      The Illustrated History of Textiles, edited by Madeleine Ginsburg, ISBN
      0-517-05031-5
      This is more an illustrated text with fewer pictures than you would be
      looking for.

      The Library of Design: Classic Textile Designs, Dupont-Auberville, ISBN
      0-517-69329-1
      This starts with some from the 8th c. but has more of the later periods. The
      foreword has a disclaimer that some of the 17th c. designs actually belong
      in the early 18th c.

      Textiles in the Art Institute of Chicago, ISBN 0-8109-3856-1
      This woven textiles, tapestry, embroidery and other beautiful things ....
      some of which are from the middle ages.

      My favorite book is " A History of Textile Art" by Agnes Geijer, ISBN
      0-85667-055-3
      This one deals with textiles, fibers, weaving, and silk and linen weaving in
      several countries as well as textile design treatment and trade routes in
      the middle ages. It has b&w photographs of period textiles.

      The classics: Davenport's "Book of Costume" and Bouchet's "20,000 Years of
      Fashion" have pictures that you can decipher for patterns on fabric.
      The wonderful "Patterns of Fashion; 1560-1620" by Janet Arnold, has
      photographs of actual garments with some of the designs graphed, as well as
      other photographs of paintings that show design on the fabric.
      "Elizabethan Treasures; The Hardwick Hall Textiles" ISBN 0-8109-6353-1, has
      woven textiles, tapestry and needlework and embroidery of the 1500-1600s.

      There are others that can be used. Any book that has portraits from the time
      in which you are interested will be a good starting place also.

      I'm sorry to say, there are no books on "Period Fabrics for Dummies". It
      would be a daunting task to go through all the museums and collections and
      sort them all by period...and by country. I don't think the market would be
      there to support the publishing and hard work involved.

      Maria P. the Polish fabric merchant
      AKA Linda Learn, the mundane fabric merchant