Re: [sig] Re: fabric predicament... long

  • Jenn Ridley
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
      On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:27:16 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
      <jenne@...> wrote:

      >> Most rose brocades today use the really full, multiple-layers of
      >> petals roses. Those roses are not period. Yes, centifolia roses are
      >> period, and if you can find a brocade with them on it, I don't see any
      >> reason why you couldn't use it. Just don't use the drapery brocades
      >> with asymmetrical bouquets of cabbage roses....
      >
      >Oops. The centifolia ('hundred-petalled') aka cabbage roses were once

      Ooops. You're right. I read it as quadrafolia (four petal). My bad.

      Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)

      stasia
      --
      Jenn Ridley
      jridley@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
        > Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)

        Not all period roses were flat-petaled, by the way: there were double
        gallicas, and gallicas themselves aren't merely the heraldic roses.

      • Jenn Ridley
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 11, 2001
          On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:16:15 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
          <jenne@...> wrote:

          >> Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)
          >
          >Not all period roses were flat-petaled, by the way: there were double
          >gallicas, and gallicas themselves aren't merely the heraldic roses.

          True, but did any of them ever show up on brocades? I was under the
          impression (perhaps mistaken) that rose brocades in period were flat
          roses.....

          stasia
          --
          Anastasia Ivgenova
          jridley@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 14, 2001
            Re offer below, yes please. Can anyone recommend an article or book
            that is sort of a 'survey of fabric types available in the 15-17th C
            for dummys' ?

            Also, what is the meaning of your reference to 'Polish fabric
            merchant'
            -Rick