Re: [sig] Re: fabric predicament... long

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
      This fabric doesn't have roses on it. I actually
      haven't looked at it that much because I'm busy with
      the red velveteen, and thank goodness that worked out
      OK. I need some heavy stuff for colder weather and the
      gold stuff is pretty light, good for a Meridian spring
      or fall but a bit much for summer. As a waterbearer I
      like to be practical with my garb as long as I'm not
      breaking the rules. No pink sequin trim for me. :-) I
      have a mundane pink sequined thingie and it's an
      atrocity. :-)

      Isabelle

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Jenn Ridley
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
        On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:27:16 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
        <jenne@...> wrote:

        >> Most rose brocades today use the really full, multiple-layers of
        >> petals roses. Those roses are not period. Yes, centifolia roses are
        >> period, and if you can find a brocade with them on it, I don't see any
        >> reason why you couldn't use it. Just don't use the drapery brocades
        >> with asymmetrical bouquets of cabbage roses....
        >
        >Oops. The centifolia ('hundred-petalled') aka cabbage roses were once

        Ooops. You're right. I read it as quadrafolia (four petal). My bad.

        Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)

        stasia
        --
        Jenn Ridley
        jridley@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
          > Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)

          Not all period roses were flat-petaled, by the way: there were double
          gallicas, and gallicas themselves aren't merely the heraldic roses.

        • Jenn Ridley
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 11, 2001
            On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:16:15 -0400 (EDT), Jenne Heise
            <jenne@...> wrote:

            >> Try for a flat rose (tudor rose, for example....)
            >
            >Not all period roses were flat-petaled, by the way: there were double
            >gallicas, and gallicas themselves aren't merely the heraldic roses.

            True, but did any of them ever show up on brocades? I was under the
            impression (perhaps mistaken) that rose brocades in period were flat
            roses.....

            stasia
            --
            Anastasia Ivgenova
            jridley@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 14, 2001
              Re offer below, yes please. Can anyone recommend an article or book
              that is sort of a 'survey of fabric types available in the 15-17th C
              for dummys' ?

              Also, what is the meaning of your reference to 'Polish fabric
              merchant'
              -Rick